• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

TrackMouseEvent and WM_MOUSEHOVER

This topic is 3876 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I have the following code called everytime a WM_MOUSEMOVE is evoked. I have also tried to locate this code in other places, yet I never receive a single WM_MOUSEHOVER event. Is there something that I am missing? Thanks! TRACKMOUSEEVENT tme; tme.cbSize = sizeof(TRACKMOUSEEVENT); tme.dwFlags = TME_HOVER; tme.dwHoverTime = 100; tme.hwndTrack = hwnd; TrackMouseEvent(&tme); -Mike

Advertisement
no, you aren't missing a thing. it should work perfectly the way you have it. i just tested it right now and it works fine for me, just as it should. all i did was inject this code in my window proc:

case WM_MOUSEMOVE:
TRACKMOUSEEVENT tme;
tme.cbSize = sizeof(TRACKMOUSEEVENT);
tme.dwFlags = TME_HOVER;
tme.dwHoverTime = 100;
tme.hwndTrack = hWnd;
TrackMouseEvent(&tme);
break;
case WM_MOUSEHOVER:
SetWindowText(hWnd, "WM_MOUSEHOVER!");
break;

practically same code as yours. i move the mouse and my caption changes. since TrackMouseEvent is only defined with both _WIN32_WINNT and WINVER #defined to 0x0501, you probably already have that in your code... so i don't know what's wrong. maybe you're just not detecting your WM_MOUSEHOVER correctly? try a simple caption change, see what happens. if this is for a control or child window, make sure that the parent window or any other window doesn't have the capture, as that would prevent the child window from receiving any WM_MOUSEMOVEs. also check to make sure that your TRACKMOUSEEVENT section in WM_MOUSEMOVE is executing (is it in an if statement that's never executing?).

also note that your mouse has to hover in the window the entire 100 ms or else WM_MOUSEHOVER won't fire. just flying past the window with the mouse (a quick enter and exit) won't do.

Right. I finally found it. Apparently if you process WM_ACTIVATE you have to send it to DefWindowProc. Thanks for pointing out that this code actually does work.

-Mike

Actually, you're suppose to return 0. I highly recommend checking MSDN for each event you handle in your winproc anyways to make sure you have it right.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms646274.aspx <-- WM_ACTIVATE, states in return type that if you process it, return 0.

Edit: Sorry that sounded rude and it wasn't my intent. I was trying to say I refer to MSDN for each new event I handle to make sure I'm doing it right and that I would recommend it to anyone else.

[Edited by - Mike2343 on June 14, 2007 10:30:25 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement