beginner help needed!!!!!!

Started by
7 comments, last by Mobby6 16 years, 10 months ago
please can anyone out there help me???? i am completely new to this game programming business and i need help deciding on which language i should pick to start with. i know about all of them cause i have read them on the net but i am mad cause everyone has different opinions and i dont know who to believe. Do i use flash and actionscript,java,c++,c#,python or visual basic. If anyone who has been in my position could offer me advice i would be very grateful. also could you let me know what the latest version of the recommended language is cause i havent a clue. any help appreciated!!!!
Advertisement
Hey, I dont know what kind of game you eaxactly want to code, I think you will need C/C++ if you want to program a really cool game. But, what I advice is that you learn an easy language like Qbasic first, unless you are in a hurry :*). You can program simple games on it and I know it's possible to write really cool games in pure Qbasic, but Qbasic is a bit slow, so I'm learning assembly now. I use it for short functions that I can use, assembly(ASM) is very fast, you know. I advise you to learn a language like Qbasic first, and, when you think you're ready, learn ASM(what you can do too is using a library, but if you use ASM you will gain more knowledge ;*)). When you think you're done with that, learn C/C++. It's a tricky language.

PS ASM is know to be the hardest language out there. I find it actually to be very simple. There are only a few commands! But it is very limiting that you can only use 4 variables, and it is kinda time-taking to do simple things. But when you're done you got code that is fast as hell!
Learning ASM as a start seems a little odd to me. I'm a software engineer by education and a game programmer by profession and I have literally never touched ASM. C++ is the language of choice in the industry still although steps are being made toward C#. As you are completely new I would advise you to check out something like Blitz Basic - it's easy to learn as is geared towards producing games. QBasic is going back a bit! I haven't used that since 1993!
Generally, it doesn't really matter what language you pick to start off with. If you don't know anything about programming just pick a language and try it out. Search for tutorials, start small such as the typical "Hello world" tutorials. If you start seeing what it's like to program and you find the language too difficult or you are having problems; you can come back here and ask us what language is easier/better.

So in short: just pick one and start programming. Don't wander about trying to make the perfect choice - there isn't any.

Personally, I started with Java.
Since I did not see anyone mention it and since you are just beginning you MUST read this page. It will be a great help for you to make a nice start. Written by the great people here at gamedev.net
After my post I realized that Qbasic and asm are a bit outdated like john already said. It probably would be better to learn some basic dialect for learning purposes only. But, Qbasic is still great, I think. It is only not used for professional games anymore. As jhon said too, almost only c/c++ is. I would like to say that ASM is still used, but only to write small routines. I normally program in Qbasic(because it is easy and free) and extend it with asm if i need speed or easy memory acces. Realize I did not advice to learn ASM while starting.
Check out the 'programs' section on my website http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl. You can get some demo's there in pure qbasic.

The problem with C/C++ is, I think, that you cant start well with it, because if you want to compile your programs you need to buy some shitty expansive shit thing.

I should not use Java and Flash, unless you want to code internet games.
Quote:Original post by RubyNL
The problem with C/C++ is, I think, that you cant start well with it, because if you want to compile your programs you need to buy some shitty expansive shit thing.

Nope. Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition can be downloaded and used for free.

As for the original question, I'd recommend starting with Python. It was designed with beginners in mind, but it's still powerful enough to do almost anything you could with C++. There's also the PyGame library for graphics.
hey thanks for all the help guys i was wondering has anyone got any recommendations for some books?? or any more advice???
Don't be intimidate by so many language out there right now. They are just tools for you to solve your problems. Some tool might be more effective than others at certain problems. So first decide what is it that you're trying to do. Just by knowing the language well doesn't mean you're a computer genius. The ability to be able to solve problems is more important. If you can achieve that then you can learn any language as needed to solve your problems.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement