• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mother

Brass Hats beta (turn-based strategy war game)

This topic is 4056 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Brass Hats is a war game similar to Military Madness or Advance Wars, for PC (Windows) and MacOSX. I've been working on it full time for a year, and finally it is ready for a public beta test. You can download the beta version here. I'm curious what the minimum requirements are. Please let me know how it runs on your machine, and your OS, CPU, RAM, and video card. The Mac version is a PPC binary, but in theory it should run on the new Intel Macs. Please help me test it on your Mac!

Advertisement
As a big Advance Wars fan, I really enjoyed this game. You nailed the gameplay perfectly, while adding a, in my opinion, better unit selection.

My Specs:
Windows XP, 512mb RAM, Intel Graphics chipset

Looks pretty cool, nice style! Runs fine on my system, too: Windows XP, AMD 1800+, 384 MB RAM, GeForce FX5600.

I took some notes while playing it, so do you mind if I give some comments?

First of all, I liked the menu. It's playfull, those fighters gunning down each other. :) I also liked the available units: except for the flamethrower, none of them felt really useless (granted, I didn't try the flamethrower yet ;)). I enjoyed playing some sessions, which I believe is a good sign.

There's some things that I believe could improve the game though, namely on the interface and controls side. I found many buttons to be very small. Besides enlarging them, adding hotkeys would help a lot - arrow keys for scrolling through those tutorial texts, etc. It would be nice if the tutorial textbox could be minimized, too.
Then there's the escape button for cancelling moves - however, it's also used for bringing up the menu. Personally I don't like binding a menu key to a frequently used action as well. Perhaps make right-clicking cancel an action, or better, allow users to configure this for themselves.
I also think that checking a units range shouldn't involve clicking on it and then canceling the selection - a simple mouseover should suffice, as it does in several games.
And a last note: when you've finished a tutorial level, it'd be nice if that became visible in the menu, and that the first unfinished level would automatically be selected in the list - I had to search for which mission was next each time I finished one. :)

I'm sorry if it sounds like a long list of complaints, but I thought I'd point them out, since it's a beta anyway. Good luck with this! :)

Works fine on my ibook PPC Mac OS X 10.4.9 and powerbook PPC 10.3.9

I did the first 3 tutorials and then started a 'versus' and went to save but it didn't show that I could later load what I saved (although it said it successfully saved). Possibly this is because I never took it out of the .dmg but other than that it works fine on my two macs and I really like the sounds and sound effects :)

But I didn't see the end turn shortcut key? That would have been helpful or at least make the end turn button bigger?

I'm just curious...what is this written in/with? Also, is this going to be free or shareware?

I'll play this more later it seems fun so far, thanks! :)

oops forgot to add specs:

ibook has 512MB ram 1.42Ghz PowerPC G4
powerbook has 640MB ram 867 Mhz PowerPC G4

Good job!!! This game is fun and I like it.

My system is Windows XP Home, Intel Core 2 6300 @1.86 GHz (over clocking to 3 GHz), 1 GB RAM, GeForce FX6200

The game runs well on my system, except when I switched back to desktop, my mouse sometimes worked a little bit weird.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!