• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Juksosah

Billboard rotation help !

This topic is 4141 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been stuck with this problem for awhile... Ok I have my billboarding matrix set this way (using D3D): getRightVec().x, getUpVector().x, getForwardVec().x, 0, getRightVec().y, getUpVector().y, getForwardVec().y, 0, getRightVec().z, getUpVector().z, getForwardVec().z, 0, getPosition().x, getPosition().y, getPosition().z, 1 (and it works, it rotates to face the viewer around the y axis) UpVector is always (0,1,0) All vectors are normalized and orthogonal. Now using this matrix, how can I rotate the billboard (around the Z axis or X axis) so that it stills face the viewer ?? (like you would rotate a normal quad for instance, the only difference being that the quad always face the viewer) I tried a simple Z (or X) rotation matrix * billboard matrix. It doesn't work when I move around, it screw up the billboarding. I hope you understand.

Advertisement
For what I think you want, you'll need to form a rotation matrix, the z-axis of which is the object-to-camera vector (normalised of course). Apply your rotation to this about Z, and then apply that to your object.

Ed: probably get more responses posting questions like this on the Maths forum...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!