I'm ready to begin studying C#, need resource suggestions

Started by
9 comments, last by glassflakes 16 years, 10 months ago
I consider my self an intermediate C/C++ programmer now with a good foundation and fundamentals. My skills will really only get better with application. Now I feel like its time for me to expand my programming skills by learning C#. I hear great things about the language, I know its becoming increasingly used in the game development industry (tools, etc), I know a lot of Xbox 360 software is written it in and i'd like an opportunity to work on an Xbox 360 game sometime in the future, and overall, I think it'd be a great benefit to be fluent in the language, whether the application be games or not. So now I need your recommendations on the best books and tutorials on there on learning the language well. I have Visual Studio 2005 with the C# IDE and Compiler installed so i'm good to go with actually programming in it. So I just need good instruction.
Advertisement
I liked the Softsteel tutorial. You might also want to look at Visual C# 2005 Step by Step.
Well we have a C# Workshop starting on July 1. Wanna wait until then?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes

How extensive will the workshop be?
I'm currently reading this although I also have this.

When the first one arrived I was surprised at how massive and when I started reading it I found it to be too detailed (it explains OOP and abstract classes) but I understood that it was a thorough book that made few assumptions of the reader. The other one is much smaller and faster paced, but now that I've grown to appreciate the depth of detail in the first, I will be finishing that one first.

Anyway, Pro C# seems pretty good. I couldn't imagine that it leaves anything out, although it is a slow read you should certainly know C# by the end of it (at least that's what it looks like so far).

Also, the Accelerated book is $10 used so it's not too huge of an investment. It seems to be good and is certainly faster paced, but I haven't read much of it.
Programming since 1995.
Quote:Original post by Captain_Thunder
I liked the Softsteel tutorial. You might also want to look at Visual C# 2005 Step by Step.

Those look pretty good. I'll keep the tutorial bookmarked. It seems like the book is geared toward learning to use C# with the IDE. I have Visual Studio 2005, but my primary concern is learning the language. I won't be uses VS2005 forever, lol (2008 is now in Beta, I believe), so I don't really need anything too specific to an IDE.
Quote:Original post by T1Oracle
I'm currently reading this although I also have this.

When the first one arrived I was surprised at how massive and when I started reading it I found it to be too detailed (it explains OOP and abstract classes) but I understood that it was a thorough book that made few assumptions of the reader. The other one is much smaller and faster paced, but now that I've grown to appreciate the depth of detail in the first, I will be finishing that one first.

Anyway, Pro C# seems pretty good. I couldn't imagine that it leaves anything out, although it is a slow read you should certainly know C# by the end of it (at least that's what it looks like so far).

Also, the Accelerated book is $10 used so it's not too huge of an investment. It seems to be good and is certainly faster paced, but I haven't read much of it.

Hmm...seems Pro C# is pretty solid. Definite candidate.

Quote:Original post by VWarrior
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes

How extensive will the workshop be?

Have a look here.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This bookmark is essential. I transfered over from C++ using O'Reilly's Programming C#. It was clear, generally well written with good tidbits about how C# is like and dislike some of the other common languages.

By and large though, you probably won't need too much.
Thanks for the replies, guys!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement