• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

University of Advancing Technology

This topic is 3994 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are your opinions on the UAT (uat.edu) and degrees from there? I'm looking into attending for the Game Programming major (Which I think would show up as a B.S. of Software Engineering degree) but I don't want to waste four years and $60,000 if the degree is looked down upon like Collins College, DeVry orWestwood.

Advertisement
In general, game schools are not as highly looked upon as traditional colleges, and most people (myself included) advise you attend the latter. Just get a normal CS degree. It will definitely hold its weight in the game industry, and your education will be much more well-rounded in the event that you can't/don't want to get into game programming.

That's understandable, one of the main things that drew me to UAT though was that it was all online. While working a full time job to pay the bills, I don't have time to get everything done at a local college. (I can do night classes but it would take me 6 years to get the degree going year round).

Are there any other fully online Computer Science programs? Otherwise, is UAT one of the "better" game schools?

Which would you rather have, someone with no degree but a lot of game demos and mods, or someone with a degree from UAT/Fullsail?

I took a tour at Full Sail a few months back, and at the time they were actually convincing me to fork over $66,000 for a Bachelor's.

After I received a letter in the mail they were increasing their tuition an extra $5,000, I began to realize that maybe they really were feeding off people's dreams as many had said about the school.

Looking into their program, the only real skills they tought were C++ and DirectX/OpenGL. In comparison to the program I'm enrolled for at U of North Florida, they have classes specifcally about algorithms, and about data structures. And at much less than half the price of tuition.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!