• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
balanikas

From XNA to C++

This topic is 4081 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I did some work with GSE and the XNA SDK/platform. But now I need to move on to C++/DirectX programming. Programming in GSE is very fun and convenient, but I am looking for a job as a professional game developer and still it is only C++ that counts there. I am a bit confused with managed/unmanaged C++ and managed/unmanaged DirectX. I know I can develop games in unmanaged everything but I really would like to use the C++ managed extensions and the .NET library at the same time because I think it would help alot in terms of efficiency. So what are my options? develop everything in a pure unmanaged way? What is there to loose by this approach? use a mixture of unmanaged and managed C++ code? Is it a good approach and are there going to be compatibility problems? If I use managed C++ should I then also use managed DirectX? I am not interested in doing a general multiplatform demo, as long as it compiles on x86 /Windows I am fine. Very pleased if some expert on this could enlighten me! Thanks

Advertisement
I don't think anyone uses managed C++, but I may be wrong. There is nothing to it, if you want a managed C type language use C# not the nasty syntactically ugly managed C++ MS threw together. One of the greatest advantages to using C++ is speed, but that is canceled out by doing the little byte code interpretation. That is just my take.

Quote:
What is there to loose by this approach?

I hate to do it (I have an O.C.D.) but the only help I have for you is to point out that 'to loose' is not a transitive verb, or a verb at all. You can't 'loose' something. I think you mean 'lose'. You also have the wrong preposition, it should be 'from'. You could have 'to lose by taking this approach?' also.

Anyway, I have been using XNA for a while now and it seems to be on the rise as far as popularity goes, although I do agree C++ is the standard.

You can use .NET and DirectX with each other, they shouldn't conflict. It's similar to using C# (.NET) and XNA (DirectX). I think you may lose marginally in terms of raw speed if you use managed C++, but the speed gained in development will probably counteract that anyway (be warned this is not first hand experience, I have heard stories of managed C++ being a pain in the tit). I'm not too sure about managed vs. unmanaged DirectX, though. Sorry I can't help you much.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!