• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

From XNA to C++

This topic is 3907 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I did some work with GSE and the XNA SDK/platform. But now I need to move on to C++/DirectX programming. Programming in GSE is very fun and convenient, but I am looking for a job as a professional game developer and still it is only C++ that counts there. I am a bit confused with managed/unmanaged C++ and managed/unmanaged DirectX. I know I can develop games in unmanaged everything but I really would like to use the C++ managed extensions and the .NET library at the same time because I think it would help alot in terms of efficiency. So what are my options? develop everything in a pure unmanaged way? What is there to loose by this approach? use a mixture of unmanaged and managed C++ code? Is it a good approach and are there going to be compatibility problems? If I use managed C++ should I then also use managed DirectX? I am not interested in doing a general multiplatform demo, as long as it compiles on x86 /Windows I am fine. Very pleased if some expert on this could enlighten me! Thanks

Advertisement
I don't think anyone uses managed C++, but I may be wrong. There is nothing to it, if you want a managed C type language use C# not the nasty syntactically ugly managed C++ MS threw together. One of the greatest advantages to using C++ is speed, but that is canceled out by doing the little byte code interpretation. That is just my take.

Quote:
What is there to loose by this approach?

I hate to do it (I have an O.C.D.) but the only help I have for you is to point out that 'to loose' is not a transitive verb, or a verb at all. You can't 'loose' something. I think you mean 'lose'. You also have the wrong preposition, it should be 'from'. You could have 'to lose by taking this approach?' also.

Anyway, I have been using XNA for a while now and it seems to be on the rise as far as popularity goes, although I do agree C++ is the standard.

You can use .NET and DirectX with each other, they shouldn't conflict. It's similar to using C# (.NET) and XNA (DirectX). I think you may lose marginally in terms of raw speed if you use managed C++, but the speed gained in development will probably counteract that anyway (be warned this is not first hand experience, I have heard stories of managed C++ being a pain in the tit). I'm not too sure about managed vs. unmanaged DirectX, though. Sorry I can't help you much.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement