• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BStoltman

What edition of the C Compiler do you use?

This topic is 4171 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am curious what C Compiler everyone is using. Borland C++ Visual C++ 6 Visual C++ .Net 2003 Visual C++ .Net 2005 Visual C# 2003 Visual C# 2005 If you have a specific reason you use that compiler please list it as well. Please no flame wars. I am not interested in a debate, just personal opinions. Thanks

Advertisement
None of those are, strictly speaking, C compilers. They are either C++ or C# compilers (and it just so happens that the C++ compilers listed can compile straight C as well).

I use the latest versions from MS, so Visual C++ 8.0 (2005) when writing C++, Visual C# 2005 when writing C#.

Visual Studio 2005 Professional.

It's got a great IDE (Arguably the best Windows C/C++/C# IDE), I've always used the Visual Studio family of IDEs so I'm used to the interface, it optimises well and is very powerful, I only develop for Windows platforms, so cross-platform isn't (currently) a concern, and it can generate 64-bit executables.

VS 2005 Standard - pro doesn't offer any features worth the extra $400 (or whatever the difference is, more than double at least).

Unless you have access to the MS company store... Then it only costs you $100 for VS 2005 Professional [grin]

I use my $100 copy of VS 2005 Pro, by the way.

In Windows I use Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Pro

In Solaris 10, I use both Sun Studio 11 and 12 pre-release as well as gcc 4.1.2

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!