Brilliant Game Idea

Started by
11 comments, last by Sandman 16 years, 10 months ago
In South Africa a local company is having a game development competition. The criteria: It must teach the player something useful but it must ***not*** be another "edutainment" game. It should teach a useful concept you've learnt at school So far I've thought of an adventure game similar to tomb raider but set in Egypt. I don't think this is a good idea really and i don't know hot to incorporate the fun into it. Please if you have any ideas(i mean ANY ideas) please post them here Thanks
Advertisement
Wouldn't it be better if you thought up your own game idea? Sounds to me like you want to take from others for your own gain.

M.
<work in progress>
Not to dump on your idea, but at first glance a tomb raider-like game that's educational because it's about Egypt sounds pretty edutainmenty to me. Egypt isn't a particularly useful concept.

Maybe something that teaches you a practical skill? like maybe where it drops you off in the woods and gives you a realistic compass and map and you have to learn out how to get your bearings and navigate to freedom? And maybe other outdoorsman skills?

Or maybe some new approach to teaching you a language? Or teaches realistic plumbing?
1. Don't cross/double post.

2. Moving you to Game Design.

3. "an adventure game similar to tomb raider but set in Egypt" is not "a useful concept you've learnt at school", so your own idea isn't actually relevant to the competition so far.

4. The general idea of these sorts of competitions is that you should produce your own idea. It's up to others if they want to help you out by giving ideas, but I'd suggest that you probably won't find all that many willing to do so and your time is probably better spent thinking up a good idea yourself.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I have an idea for you. If you want a game that's set in Egypt, why not be a tourist? Then you go around taking pictures and when the tourist guide is going to say something you have the chance to interrupt him and complete his sentence in like three different ways. If you get it right, you get extra credit to buy new films so you take more and more pictures. Then at the end of the game your score is rated by how good the pictures were, as in how the focus was and centering, and importance of the place you took the picture of.

Of course that's kind of really visually intense, but if you can ask for help it sounds to me like an awesome idea, I won't do it only because I'm a newbie at programming and know almost nothing about 3D modeling :\.

EDIT: Of course, it can be just the same except it is a safari in Africa and you have to get the names right, or just nature expeditions of waterfalls and canyons and you get to pick a few places in the world map.

EDIT2: Also, you have to insert a time limit to the guessing. If it runs out, the guide just completes his sentence. Make the screen go "flash" slowly as in time stopped, add a little clock to the corner of the screen that pauses while you choose the answer just so the player gets it that the time did stop.
I could mention more and more features, but if you don't take this idea I'm definetly doing the game on my own... someday. ^^

[Edited by - Kin the Pumpkin King on June 15, 2007 7:59:44 AM]
Okay maybe it isn't obvious, but I'd like to hear feedback about my idea even if it's just to say "d00d th4t sUx". :|
Well, I'd call that Edutainment.

I think that a Tomb Raider type of Game based in Egypt is actually a good idea, altough it should have more puzzles and less jumping around and shooting things. You could base it around mythology, requiring you to solve puzzles regarding Egyptian Mythology. You would find the information in the tombs of Egypt, but also in places like a museum in Cairo. I think that could result in a very interesting game. When you've finished the game, you'd probably know a lot about Egyptian mythology.

BTW, History games always do well. I learnt Greek, Egyptian and Norse mythology through Age of Mythology. That is actually a very informative game.
Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth

3. "an adventure game similar to tomb raider but set in Egypt" is not "a useful concept you've learnt at school", so your own idea isn't actually relevant to the competition so far.

4. The general idea of these sorts of competitions is that you should produce your own idea. It's up to others if they want to help you out by giving ideas, but I'd suggest that you probably won't find all that many willing to do so and your time is probably better spent thinking up a good idea yourself.

1. FUCK YOU

2. FUCK YOU

3. FUCK YOU

4. FUCK YOU
I had to look up edutainment and unfortunately i'm no clearer on how youre supposed to teach a useful concept you learnt at school without it been considered edutainment. Is it that it must appear to be a game and a game only and you learn subconsciously?
Quote:Original post by Emerican_360
Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth

1. FUCK YOU

2. FUCK YOU

3. FUCK YOU

4. FUCK YOU

I think that's something teachers don't teach you at school.
The Department of Next Life - Get your Next-Life Insurance here!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement