• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TheUmpteenth

Size Matters? for Vertex/Index Buffer

This topic is 4170 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9 and LPDIRECT3DINDEXBUFFER9 well, I think I've run into a Vertex Buffer size limit. My code uses a .RAW file 1024 by 1024 to represent a height map (nothing new here then...) at the moment, it's only got one Vertex List. does anyone know if there is an ideal or even maximum size for a vertex list/ buffer my code is tested, and works fine for smaller .RAWs I have a few ideas for how to go about breaking up the map, but I'd like to find out what a good "chunk" size would be... Thanks

Advertisement
I believe a optimal size for your vertex buffers is around 1 to 2 megs. (I think it was in a report put out by nVidia) (you can do the calculation on how many verts that is). Although with the bandwidth you can push through cards these days I wouldn't be surprised if it's double or triple that. For index buffers I'm not too sure.

The best thing to do is run a bunch of tests with moch geometry, see what gives you performance hits between increased buffer sizes or increased drawing calls. Because really the best performance comes from batching vertices and rendering large numbers of batches. This is where the real power of index buffers comes through.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!