• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Skizi

Problem with C++ express 2005

This topic is 4056 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, so I finally decided to get a new compiler after having nothing but problems with my last one(I guess that's what I get for using a beta). I've decided to use the 2005 MS C++ express, but I'm having some issues trying to install this compiler on my computer. Every time I try to download it from the MS site, I get a BITS error, saying I either don't have a BITS file, or I need to update it. So I type in services.msc in my prompt and bring up the folder BITS is in. Next to the BITS file, the error reads : <Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 1813> And when I try to go into properties I get this: Configuration Manager: A general internal error occurred. The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file. So I think to myself, "Okay, I'll just update BITS", but the link to update BITS from the MS site doesn't work with Vista. So what other options do I have?

Advertisement
Skizi,

Let's get a bit more info here. I'm assuming you're using Vista? What is BITS? Is that short for the Background Intelligent Transfer Service? I'm drawing that conclusion from the fact that you went the services route, but you can feel free to correct me here. If that's so, which are you referring to? The service running on your machine? Or are you talking about the bits.h header that comes with VS?

We just need a bit more info to be able to help you here, that's all.

But my first inclination is that it sounds like you might have a little snafu going on with Vista, not with VS. I only say that because Vista was hoarking (my own word there, you like it?) over a file.

- Goishin

Quote:
Original post by Goishin
Skizi,

Let's get a bit more info here. I'm assuming you're using Vista? What is BITS? Is that short for the Background Intelligent Transfer Service? I'm drawing that conclusion from the fact that you went the services route, but you can feel free to correct me here. If that's so, which are you referring to? The service running on your machine? Or are you talking about the bits.h header that comes with VS?

We just need a bit more info to be able to help you here, that's all.

But my first inclination is that it sounds like you might have a little snafu going on with Vista, not with VS. I only say that because Vista was hoarking (my own word there, you like it?) over a file.

- Goishin

Yes, I'm talking about the Background Intelligent Transfer Service from the service menu(just called BITS on Vista). And yes, it seems that I'm having issues with my machines BITS file, considering I can't access it.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Original post by Goishin
What does your event log say about it?

- Goishin

It has a lot of logs.
This is the main one I found:

The BITS service terminated with the following error:
BITS is not a valid Win32 application.

Tell me if you want the full details.

I'm not a huge IT guy or anything so I don't really know why MS express would need BITS, when every other compiler doesn't use it.
I'm starting to think I just need to update the folder, but can't seem to find the vista version.

it needs BITS during install to download VC if you downloaded the downloader , you're better off downloading the ISO & getting rids of the problems (if you don't have a CD burdner , get daemon tools , it works just fine on vista & express editions don't complain when you use it to install)

i see isos got pulled from the main MS express page , check this one out & tell me if it fixes your problem :

manual install

the download from there works for me (& vc# express working like a charm & i assume they use the same installer , i installed from the iso on vista & x64 at that)

edit: also once you're done installing unless you want to be in a world of trouble download and install (in that order!)

(edit , if you don't already have it don't forget to install the platform sdk too: click me! )

the sp1 for vstudio IF YOU CLICKED THIS BEFORE THIS TEXT WAS HERE , RE DOWNLOAD , I WRONGFULLY POINTED TO THE C# PATCH! (wich didn't hurt but most likely didn't find anything to patch p)

AND

the vista sp1 for vstudio

AND

right click your shortcut to vc++ & check run as an administrator

this should make your installation quite workable

Thanks a lot guys, finally got it running. Now I just have to learn how to use this new compiler.

Thanks again to everyone that helped.

~Skizi

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!