• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bulgurmayo

c++ iostream

This topic is 4149 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What I am looking for, is a way to read/write from/to a socket using C++'s iostreams. More generally a way of using iostream on any file descriptor, be it a fd coming from a network socket, pipe, file ... I am not sure how to acheive this using iostream.

Advertisement
C++ iostreams sit a layer above file descriptors, there is no way of telling one to use a certain fd.

What you can do is replace the streambuf it uses, you could replace its streambuf with one that will write to an arbitrary file descriptor.

That may look hard (or at best confusing, lots of member functions with odd names), but in reality just implementing the rest of this class will get you started (for output anyway):

class MyStreamBuf : public std::basic_streambuf<char, std::char_traits<char> >
{
public:
typedef std::char_traits<char> Traits;
typedef std::basic_streambuf<char, Traits>::traits_type traits_type;
typedef std::basic_streambuf<char, Traits>::int_type int_type;

protected:
// Function called by an ostream when it's time to send something out.
//
// @param c The value to be written out (generally a single character).
//
// @returns A value equal to traits_type::eof() on failure,
// traits_type::not_eof() on success.
int_type overflow(int_type c = traits_type::eof());

};

Cheers to Bregma for the reference implementation provided here, which I've cut down.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!