• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Delryn

Directx? MDX1.1? MDX2.0? XNA? Wtf?

This topic is 4116 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys! I'm a programmer who startet programming games with direct draw. Then, after a few years I tried several new attempts with MDX 1.1 und MDX 2.0, which was alot more easier to use and looked really fine to me. At the moment I am a little bit confused, I have read that the development of MDX 2.0 was stopped, because the programmers were assembled to the XNA-Project. I read that MDX 2.0 & 1.1 are dead, XNA is the future. But XNA does not seem to be for professionals, I always read something about "easy use, for students, xbox360"... and you need this special Visual Studio Version... Considering that windows vista was designed for .Net-Code, which DirectX should I use for my new projects? C++ Directx? MDX 1.1? XNA? What's the future? Thanks for helping

Advertisement
MDX 1.1 isn't dead, it just isn't going to be updated, but it's still a solid wrapper over DirectX 9. MDX 2.0 is dead, I don't even think it'll work any more since they "time bombed" it. XNA is similar to MDX 2.0 except it'll work on an XBOX 360, but it also requires you use Visual C# Express(which IMO sucks). My advice is to try XNA, if you don't like it stick to MDX, there's nothing really wrong with it.

Quote:

What's the future?

None of those. DX10 is the present for C++ and XNA/MDX(both DX9) for C#. What the future is, nobody really knows. I hope they fix the problems with XNA, or that Promit's SlimDX will fix Microsofts failure to continue with MDX.

Quote:
Original post by Scet

... I hope they fix the problems with XNA ...

XNA isn't perfect and I'm still a fan of MDX myself, but I'm wondering what everyone's problems with XNA are (plain curiosity). I had a lot of misgivings myself and I've run into plenty of issues, but all in all XNA is a lot better than I initially thought. It might make for an interesting discussion (and be helpful to the OP) to hear what these problems are exactly.

My main gripe with XNA is that it draws a line between pros and us hobbyists/indies (as Promit puts it, it's a toy right now). But actually coding with XNA isn't that bad. The content pipeline might not be ideal, but it beats writing importers from scratch. Feature-wise XNA might be missing some things (especially on the 360), but I haven't run into anything too serious there either.

So, let's hear it [smile]

Quote:
Wtf? Yeah, that would be great game library.

I say we vote on a new name for SlimDX; I'll go register WTFInfo.com [wink]

Ok I'm just gonna post this excerpt from an interview with the makers of Alan Wake:

YouGamers: Are you or did you consider at any time using Microsoft's XNA middleware toolkit?

Mäki: Well, we naturally use the DirectX and Xbox SDKs - XNA kind of encompasses those two anyway…so I'll say "yes" [laughs] "sort of"…it would depend on what you define XNA as, I would say.

Quote:
Original post by Scet
MDX 1.1 isn't dead, it just isn't going to be updated, but it's still a solid wrapper over DirectX 9. MDX 2.0 is dead, I don't even think it'll work any more since they "time bombed" it. XNA is similar to MDX 2.0 except it'll work on an XBOX 360, but it also requires you use Visual C# Express(which IMO sucks). My advice is to try XNA, if you don't like it stick to MDX, there's nothing really wrong with it.

Will the developing of MDX 1.1 continue in the future? Or does microsoft only work on XNA and DirectX 10 for C++?

Quote:
Original post by Scet
Quote:

What's the future?

None of those. DX10 is the present for C++ and XNA/MDX(both DX9) for C#. What the future is, nobody really knows. I hope they fix the problems with XNA, or that Promit's SlimDX will fix Microsofts failure to continue with MDX.

[/quote]

That's stupid... my opinion is, that something with managed code is the future, because Vista was designed for .Net code.
What do you think? Will the point come and bigger companies like blizzard will switch to MDX :D?

Quote:
Original post by Delryn
That's stupid... my opinion is, that something with managed code is the future, because Vista was designed for .Net code.

Even if that's true (and I don't know if it is), I don't think it really matters. People used native code because its fast - .NET is nice, but no matter how fast it is it still will have some overhead. Then you have to deal with stuff like MDX and the like.

I don't forsee any of the large game companies switching to .NET languages any time soon - my opinion is that native code will stay mainstream for a while.

But, of course, I could be completely wrong. :P

There are still a lot of user initiatives dedicated to MDX. For example I'm developing a user control library for MDX projects. Something like this was "promised" by the XNA authors a year ago but... nothing yet.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!