• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Roosh

Game programming newb...a few questions!

This topic is 4079 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I am new to these forums and the GameDev community. I am currently a novice in the C++ language, with a year of experience under my belt. However, classes in college only teach me rough things like data structures, operating systems, etc... I really would like to learn to program games. I would like to start a group at school where we can get together and learn how to program games and mods for existing games. I believe that the best way to learn how to be a better programmer is by learning to program games. It takes skills in many different subjects to program even basic games. I want to become more familiar with how linear algebra is implemented, as well as physics and graphics. I am hungry for this "know how" but I don't know where to start. I have browsed for game development books, but I don't want to simply follow what is on the pages of a book. I WANT TO LEARN!! So I have a couple of questions that I hope you all will be able to answer. 1) I have experience in C++ and Visual Studio 2005, what type of game would be good to write to get my feet wet? I would like to start with a project that can be finished fairly quickly, since school coding projects will take all my time during fall and spring semesters. 2) DirectX or OpenGL? I have tried in vain to find the openGL libraries for mac or PC. The ones I have found I was unable to use because of poor documentation. I hope I was clear as to what I want to do. Thanks in advance!! Chris

Advertisement
1) A typical, fairly easy--yet challenging--project to begin with is a simple Tetris clone. This gets you familiar with handling basic key input, processing collision, timing, and a bundle of other good things. For being such a primitive game, Tetris is probably one of the best to dive into game-making with. Alternatives could include a PacMan clone, or even more basic, Pong. I had more fun making Tetris, though, when I first started. Which is important: Only do it if it's fun.

2) I like OpenGL better, but here it's really a toss-up. Depends on what resources you have access to, what you need to accomplish, which you find to be more comfortable, sometimes a friend will recommend one to you over the other. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I actually started with DirectX, and later went on to OpenGL. Someday I may go back to DirectX, as it does a few things better than OpenGL. But really it's just personal preference here.

Any idea where I can find the OpenGL source code? I would like to program my projects for Mac and PC, so OpenGL was my first choice. But I would also like experience in DirectX.

Quote:
Original post by Crypter
OpenGL is a closed source project, so you cannot download its source.

You can, however, download its library and header files. Search google for "OpenGL SDK".

Heres a download link

actually there are opensource reference implementations of the OpenGL API avaliable from SGI. (it isn't free software though so the licence is a bit restrictive, and ofcourse you really don't want to mess with it unless you intend to write your own drivers)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!