• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MetKiller Joe

Which compiler should I use?

This topic is 4173 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have experience with Codewarrior, VC++, and Dev-C++, but I wanted to know is VC++ really what the industry uses (for games like Half-life 2); I'm a bit skeptical of all of the books on amazon saying "This is what the industry uses! Managed DirectX in Visual Studio". Besides, I don't want to get stuck with Microsoft compilers (I'm not a big fan of Visual Studio). I want to write game code in C mostly (so it can be that much faster). Does anybody know what the industry uses? I'm planning to buy some books on the subject soon so I don't want to be put in a position that is the wrong path standard-wise. Thanks for your time and patience and any contribution, -MetKiller Joe

Advertisement
From what i know, most games programmed in c++ were developedwith with visual studio's c++ I.E.D. Simply, because its the best. What else would they use? Microsoft pretty much leads the development industry with good tools including visual studio. It's foolish to try to stay away from microsoft products. Half life 2 was made in visual studio 2005 pro iirc. It may seem a little weird going from dev-c++'s interface to visual studio( as it was for me ) but ounce you figure it out and learn how to use the very easy to use and powerful debugger, its much easier to work with.

I seen the industry use both VC++ and CodeWarrior (Ive seen
CodeWarrior for PSX)

DevC++ is good--I personally dont know of any games at the top of my head though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!