• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Mapping texture on another texture (grass effect)

This topic is 3900 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im looking for a way to add grass on my polygons (3d), what ways you suggest ? I was thinking to split the polygon to two parts, grass and the other part, but that seems to be stupid, because, ive seen such mapping at other games, but i dont have an idea how its done. It looks like its done with sprites (is that right word?), but how i can place that sprite on my polygon, that how it wont disappear under it, or at same height, which would cause some graphic errors when two polygons are at the same height... And if i put that sprite just a bit above the polygon, it would make graphic errors when i zoom out, so thats not a solution either... Could someone point me in the right way of doing this ?

Advertisement
The most used technique is to use LOTS and LOTS of sprites rendered with Instancing, each one with a transformation Matrix, the same texture and geometry ( a quad ), you can also use alpha fade by distance to reduce que ammount of rendered polygons

Hmm, i think you got it wrong what i ment.

Basically i just want to fade my polygon edges with some other texture, like grass, so it looks more natural when two different textured edges joins together.

Here is what im doing:
example
At the left you see without fading, and at the right you see faded edges.

So, instead of that ugly fade in that picture, my fade part would have some nice grass texture which covers some of the edges nicely, and joins the two textures together naturally.
I thought it could be done with some other texture which i just place above my polygon, but it seems to not work very well...

Do i need to generate those fades (blend them manually or at run time) and using those as a texture, and then map that texture to the other part of the polygon (not above it as separate polygon) ?

Anyone know?

Im doing this wrong, splitting the polys, but atm it works enough well, but is there better way?

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2238.asp

This might be something?

You can use texture alpha, and combine it with vertex alpha.
With the texture alpha you can simulate height in texture.
Like this: http://biphome.spray.se/frl_linder/img/hus.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement