• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

question about FD_WRITE mechanism

This topic is 3993 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just read Sikora's Article on Asynchronous Sockets, this is in regards to the definition of the FD_WRITE event. I am attempting to build from scratch a network for a game engine I'm working on. I want to use UDP sockets and WSAEventSelect. For purposes of sending small packets (<100 bytes) could the send() buffer size be resized such that FD_WRITE is signaled more often. Also, would there be any serious performance drawbacks if the send() buffer was resized each send?

Advertisement
The Forum FAQ cautions against using Windows async sockets. They are basically a hack to make writing simple web browsing type applications in MFC a little easier. The right thing to do on Windows is usually to use select() in your main thread, or if you want to be multi-threaded, use IOCP (overlapped I/O with I/O completion ports).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!