Specifying Return Types For Functors

Started by
5 comments, last by lbt 16 years, 10 months ago
Hey, Below is my functor class that I got from some tutorials from the net. What I want to do is to be able to specify the return value type for the functor. My template programing is pretty rubbish so Im having some issues doing this. I have had a few goes but give up after a while because I dont get it. Anyway, does anyone give me any help or point me to some tutorials to accomplish this ? Thanks heaps.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Functor.h
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
#ifndef Functor_H
#define Functor_H

namespace Projengine
{
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    // BaseFunctor Class
    class BaseFunctor
    {
    public:
        virtual void call( std::vector< void* > arguments ) = 0;// const = 0;
    };

// Functor Class
    template< class T >
    class Functor : public BaseFunctor
    {
    public:
        typedef void    ( T::*functionType )( std::vector< void* > arguments );

Functor( T* type , functionType f )
                        {
                            m_Function      = f;
                            m_pClass        = type;
                        }

virtual void    call( std::vector< void* > arguments ) //const
        {
            ( m_pClass->*m_Function )( arguments );
        }

protected:
        functionType    m_Function;

T*              m_pClass;
    };

} // Namespace Projengine
#endif
Advertisement
Quote:
Functor( T* type , functionType f )

{

m_Function = f;

m_pClass = type;

}

What are you returning? A functionType or T?
Hey,
You use the "Functor" class Like this:
class talk{    void sayHello()    {        // SAY HELLO //    }}talk* pTalkPointer = new talk();Functor* pFunctor = new Functor< talk >( pTalkPointer , &talk::sayHello ) )// THIS CALLS "sayHello" IN CLASS "talk" //pFunctor->call();

So this is all well and good, but the "sayHello" function, has to return "void" or there is trouble. I want to be able to specify the return type of the functor so I can do something like this:

class talk{    bool sayHello()    {        // SAY HELLO //        return true;    }}talk* pTalkPointer = new talk();Functor* pFunctor = new Functor< talk , bool >( pTalkPointer , &talk::sayHello ) )// THIS CALLS "sayHello" IN CLASS "talk" //if( pFunctor->call() == true )    // CELEBRATE //

To to the above, I think you need to modify my functor class to be something like this: (Note the changes at lines "template< class T , class R >" and "R* call( void* arguments ) const
I also changed "std::vector< void* > arguments" to be "void* arguments", this is irrelevant

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Functor.h//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////#ifndef Functor_H#define Functor_Hnamespace Projengine{    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////    // BaseFunctor Class    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////    class BaseFunctor    {    public:        virtual void call( void* arguments ) const = 0;    };    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////    // Functor Class    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////    template< class T , class R >    class Functor : public BaseFunctor    {    public:        typedef void    ( T::*functionType )( void* arguments );                        Functor( T* type , functionType f )                        {                            m_Function      = f;                            m_pClass        = type;                        }        R*    call( void* arguments ) const        {            ( m_pClass->*m_Function )( arguments );        }    protected:        functionType    m_Function;        T*              m_pClass;    };} // Namespace Projengine#endif
I could give you the answer however there is a much better (and more efficient) solution and it comes in the form of std::tr1::function (if your compiler implements TR1) or boost::function (which std::tr1::function originates from) from boost. You may also want to look into boost.bind for your partial application needs. If you doing this for event handling then a signals and slots library such as Boost.Signals maybe a better option.
Thanks snk_kid. On first glance, boost signals and slots do all I want and more. Cheerin. While looking through the boost site, came across a shared pointer, one that you dont need to delete when you are finished with it. Is it a good idea to use those ? Should you use them for all things or just some things ?
Quote:Original post by lbt
While looking through the boost site, came across a shared pointer, one that you dont need to delete when you are finished with it. Is it a good idea to use those ?

Most definitely, as long as you understand it's purpose, usage, and when to use. boost:shared_ptr/weak_ptr are another boost component which got into C++ TR1 (therefore most likely to go into C++0x).

Quote:Original post by lbt
Should you use them for all things or just some things ?

Boost has a variety of smart pointers for different scenarios, pick the one that fits the context.

boost::shared_ptr is mainly (as it's not a hard rule) used for when you have a single instance/object not soley owned by another object and referred to by more than one pointer hence the name "shared". It's gives you a kind of garabage collection.

If go through the docs you'll get a better undestanding when and where to use them.
thanks mate

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement