• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jouei

OpenGL And so i ponder

This topic is 4202 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

And so i ponder these few questions 1) I have done the Lesson on Nehe (Lesson 10) and it loads its map from a txt file now this seems rather well alot of work... Would it be more practicle to load it in as an object! and a tutorial for doing so would be nice. 2) If it was loaded in as an object would it be teribley tricky to use any data from it for Collision detection or would it be easyer just to make a few. None drawen plans aka invisble walls for collision detection. 3) This is not really a question i just figured if you read down this far id thank you so thank you!. Other Notes: Currently useing Vc++ 2005 Express. C++ OpenGL

Advertisement
yes i just realized i spelt that wrong :S .. Lol although that out come is abit funny -.^

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
just so you know it's ponder [not pounder, which frankly i translated in my head as pound her].

Haha that is the second time to day you crack me up Alpha_ProgDes [lol]

Quote:
Original post by thallish
Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
just so you know it's ponder [not pounder, which frankly i translated in my head as pound her].

Haha that is the second time to day you crack me up Alpha_ProgDes [lol]

When was the first time?

OP: sorry for derailing your thread [sad]
what do you mean load it in as an object? you mean like:
class Map
{
loadfile(string filename);
//some other functions
};

Map GameMap = new Map();
//more code

from i understand, even if you have an object called Map, that Map would still need to reading in the data to generate the in-game map.

Well iv writen a Map loading Class and it loads frmo a txt file

in side the text file it is like this

#1 // Use texture one
-1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0
1.0 0.0 2.0 0.0 1.0
1.0 0.0 2.0 0.0 1.0

Each line is a x y z and two texture coords.

What i would like to know is if i could do a level in a 3d program like Blender for example and export it as an object and then load it in to my game.

id like to know where there would eb a good tutorial for such a thing as i havent found one yet. and two if i would have to make invisble walls for collsion detection purposes instead of useing the model of the map itself.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!