[web] Pre-loading

Started by
6 comments, last by deadimp 16 years, 10 months ago
Hey everyone, I am trying to build a PSP portal. For those of you who don't know what that is it's a simulation of websites that act as a computer on your PSP. There are already many available but I want to make my own. Now to my question. When the homepage loads, I would like all of the flash game information that I have to load with it so that it would just be one longer home page load, and not slow down the games at all(because at this point every one of them that I find are unbarrible to play on the PSP, much too slow). How would I do something like this? (Just think of it as in the same terms as a website development, you can pretty much just forget everything I said about the PSP, it may just confuse you as to what my question is) Thanks alot, Axis EDIT: I also don't understand how to align pictures very well. Yes there is the Align=left and center and so on, but what about detailed alignment you know? Thanks a lot. I plan to re-post at the bottom as well. [Edited by - Axis304 on June 16, 2007 3:25:47 PM]
Advertisement
So you want the browser to load all of your flash games and store them in the client's cache?
I don't entirely know about this one, especially since it could be dependent on whether or not user has it enabled, and how much space they have.
The more detail you give (which you don't need that much more of), the better we'll be able to answer this.
Projects:> Thacmus - CMS (PHP 5, MySQL)Paused:> dgi> MegaMan X Crossfire
I don't believe that is what I want to do, not really but if that is the only way to do it then yes I suppose. What details am I leaving out that you need to know?

EDIT: I also don't understand how to align pictures very well. Yes there is the
Align=left and center and so on, but what about detailed alignment you know?

[Edited by - Axis304 on June 16, 2007 3:21:26 PM]
What is 'flash information'? Is it the flash applet / movie / etc, or data used by the flass app?
The method I stated earlier is essentially the only way I know to really pre-load across pages.

As for aligning pictures, look into some CSS on that matter. Normally, you would set 'text-align' in the parent container so that you could align in horizontal-center.
As for vertical alignment, 'vertical-align' is the property in CSS, however, it's awkward for me to use, and it isn't really anything like the 'valign' property for tables. W3Schools explains it pretty well, but it doesn't compare it to 'valign'. You'll want to search for some more tutorials if you're interested in it.
If that is the only way that you know how to do it then how would I? I suppose its at least worth giving a shot. And thanks a lot for the help with the pictures, I will be sure to look into that. I had heard from one other person the only real way to do that is with CSS.
I'm not sure you'll want to go through the trouble to implement this, the change most likely won't be significant.
I'll throw out some ideas, but they're pretty ugly:
> Try to see if you can pre-load the object via &#106avascript, like you would with images. As for it being cross-browser, you'll probably need to write some fix for IE.
> Create an invisible div (display: none), and write the objects in there. If they don't load if it isn't visible, just make it normal and nullify the innerHTML of the element after page load. The user will most likely see this happen, though.
Can't think of any more ways, but still... I'm not too clear on the exact nature of the question.
I'm still trying to think of a way to re-word my question...

Try to imagine it as I want to load up all of the game itself (there is only one .swv (shockwave flash object, I think thats the format for it anyways) on the home page so that the data remains loaded when the user goes to the games page itself.

Can you possibly think of any other way that I could speed up the game at all? Even games that are like only 100kb wont load up fast enough to actually play.
That's more along the lines of caching with your flash environment than HTML-specific elements. I haven't gotten into flash yet, so I can't suggest anything.
Also, be sure to state what you're using for flash. It could help in answering your question.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement