• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
speewave2012

What's Better SDL or Allegro.

This topic is 4146 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i just started Game programming in C++. i used 2 libs: SDL\Allegro. i made 1 program with a SDL and Allegro Recompile! SDL Took more lines but performed a bit better then Allegro. And i do like that SDL Can make your games available for Consoles such as the PSP, which i always wanted to make games for since i got Custom Firmwares! and the Sega Dreamcast! as well as PocketPC's. Also i've seen DOS Games Ported to Windows and Linux such as Ken's Labyrinth, Duke Nukem 3D, ABUSE, and Jazz Jackrabbit. and the ZZT Clone - MegaZeux (i think it was). and as well as everyone's favorite violent game DooM:) Allegro Did work good but i would probably not use it if i were to make a groundbreaking game (like that would ever happen!) But I've seen games cloned with good features, like Super Metroid , The Legend of Zelda, and More! :) :) Which one would be the Best to use? I would say SDL but Allegro does have some strong points.

Advertisement
Lines taken doesn't matter (much). And all of the games you mentioned can be made with either library. If the platforms that SDL can port to appeal to you, then use that. There's really not enough differences between the libraries to sweat them. There is no "best." There is only "which one has the features I want more?" Failing that, flip a coin. They both rock.

And no offense, but I'm making a policy of locking these now. This topic comes up every few days and it's getting redundant; do a search. [pig]

This topic is 4146 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.