• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

OOP

This topic is 3968 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Could someone point me to some good tutorials on understand OOP and how to program in that style. I've got a map editor made in C++ and I wanna make it OO so that I can reuse the code easier for other projects.

Advertisement
The benefits of OOP are not in code reuse. OOP is a way of mind -- that the 'object' is performing the 'methods,' not having the methods performed on it.

Either way, you should be looking up the terms 'low coupling' and 'high cohesiveness' (software engineering terms). They essentially mean, "design to keep similar functions and methods together in the same module, and have as little cross over between modules as possible."

It doesn't matter whether you are writing in a procedural or functional style -- writing object oriented or object aware. These are the principles you should be identifying if your intentions are 'code reuse'.

I wanna learn it so I can use objects as well. I know a little bit about classes and inheritance but that's really about it when it comes to OOP.

Here you can find a lot of articles about OO design principles. Some might be a bit advanced, though, depending on your experience.

I would especially suggest looking at the ones on The Open-Closed Principle, The Liskov Substitution Principle, The Single Responsibility Principle, and also the ones on Dependency Inversion and Interface Segregation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement