What's a good $1000 - $1300 desktop/laptop for programmers?

Started by
3 comments, last by 91chris91 16 years, 10 months ago
I am looking for a desktop/laptop for around $1000 - $1300 I am a programmer in C++/C/Java I am starting OpenGL in August when I get the computer, and maybe DirectX. I was thinking about a Mac, but I'm not too sure, for I like the fact I could possibly get a Quad Core Processor for the amount of money that I am willing to pay. I am really looking for the best bang for the buck in my price range either Windows or Mac please let me know. I plan to surf web, student work, music/video, & my hobby program on this machine. I work in C++/C/Java right now I"m learning the Allegro API, and will then move to SDL, OpenGL, and then Dx. What ever info is helpful, for my next computer purchase please put it down, and I'm very greatful in advance for any info I get. Thanks,
c.s. Finch
Advertisement
For that amount of money you can get a decent computer.
I dont think its a good idea to get a mac if you are going to program in DirectX since its only for windows. However, there is an equivelant to DX on mac called macDX by a company called coderus.
MacDX is pretty bad from what I understand. There's also Transgaming Cider, but I don't know how good that is. Allegro, SDL and OpenGL should be perfectly supported though.

I'd probably consider the Macbook Pro as opposed to the standard Macbook; you can always run your DirectX applications inside Parallels/VMWare or something similar. There's an educational discount if you're in post-secondary school. It'll require more money than is in your price range, but it's worth it (8600M instead of Intel integrated video).

The Macbook Pro is one of the better deals on the market right now; compared to the equivalent Dell machine it's almost $600USD cheaper before student discount.
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
compared to the equivalent Dell machine it's almost $600USD cheaper before student discount.

How so, you can get a Inspiron E1705, 17in display, Go 7900GS 256MB no DX10, but you should get better performance than the 8600M GT 128MB (you would not get DX10 in a mac anyways), 2GB 667, 120GB hard drive, for $1700-1800
right now you probably could not get a quad core processor but by august maybe

for your price range you should be able to get
2GBs of memory
core 2 duo 2.4GHz is about right for price range
8600GT or a 8800GTS if you plan on gaming(they also have DX10 support)
i would go with a 22in monitors if you get a desktop

in august the prices should have dropped a new stuff will have come out

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement