• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CppNet

OpenGL Just started OpenGL, any tips for me?

This topic is 4146 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I just started learning OpenGL 2 days ago. I have a good amount of knowledge of standard c++, and I know a bit of windows programming. Before I've tried to learn DirectX, but I failed learning it, so I quit. Then I went to SDL, but I later figured that it was unreliable, and the fact that I couldn't render 3d with it. So, now I'm going with OpenGL, and I think that it should be simpler than DirectX, but gives me much more features and things like that. So is there anything that you can tell me about OpenGL? Any tips? Anything at all, just tell me. Here's some of my questions though: OpenGL is the most powerful graphics API for C++, right? Which is more important to learn, OpenGL or DirectX? How much math do I need to know to do 3d in this api? Thanks, -CppNet

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by CppNet
1 - OpenGL is the most powerful graphics API for C++, right?
2 - Which is more important to learn, OpenGL or DirectX?
3 - How much math do I need to know to do 3d in this api?

Thanks,
-CppNet

1 - Not really no, D3D and OGL are about on a par with both having pros and cons when it comes to 'power'
2 - Neither; learning 3D concepts is far far more important than learning an API
3 - Basic stuff, not much, however to do anything worth while you are going to need a significant amount of maths knowledge to understand the concepts and to impliment them.

If by "Power" you mean cross-platform then yes, otherwise not really. That said, I like OpenGL and find it easy to use. OpenGL also gives you less of a resume boost if you want to work for a company on Win32 games, but for other consoles and other non-game graphical applications(medical visualizations etc.) OpenGL is cool.

If I were you I would look at Nehe and at NeXe and see which one you like coding with. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!