First Person Camera in Python

Started by
1 comment, last by Megaman_22 16 years, 10 months ago
I'm working on a BattleZone clone, and I'm trying to code the wireframe 3D graphics from scratch. I've got the basic rotations, translations and projection parts down, but I'm running into some difficulty figuring out how to make things look right when you start moving the tank around. I know you have to translate and rotate the points on the other objects around somehow, but I can't seem to visualize how it should go, and I'm coming up dry on Google. I'm doing this in Python, using PyGame's graphics capabilities. If anyone could post a little code to get me started, or point me to some good articles or tutorials, I would be greatly appreciative.
Eric Richards
Advertisement
If I understand you correctly, your basically trying to write a basic software renderer which is no easy task. If I were you, I would use some 3D library that handles all the translations and projections for you. Something like DirectPython might work well. However, if you insist on doing it yourself, googling for software renderer information would probably be helpful.
Ok, thanks.

I've got a pretty good amount of time on my hands this summer, so I figured I'd try to learn a little more about 3D graphics. I've got a Direct3D book somewhere here, but I wanted to try beating my head a little trying to do it from scratch, because that way I tend to remember how things work better. Hopefully in the next couple years I'll be able to catch a 3D theory class when I'm over at Dartmouth, since that's what I'm struggling with the most.
Eric Richards

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement