• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Basic File IO

This topic is 3875 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on some basic file IO. I can output to files just fine, but I can't seem to input to files. I have a file called ints.doc. It has the numbers 5, 6, 7, 8 in it, except without commas and with spaces. Whenever I read in the values I get random values, like the variables aren't being filled with anything. I'm sure I'm making some small mistake, but I just can't figure it out. In case it matters, I'm on a mac using Xcode 2.0. Thanks
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
	ifstream inputStream;
	int n1, n2, n3, n4;

inputStream.open("ints.doc");

if(inputStream.fail())
	{
		cout << "Failed to open file.";
		return -1;
	}

inputStream >> n1 >> n2 >> n3 >> n4;

cout << n1 << " " << n2 << " " << n3 << " " << n4;

inputStream.close();

return 0; 
}

Advertisement
Do you have office installed on your box?
Is this .doc document a Microsoft Office Document?

If it is then you are reading the header of the document (several file types have headers)

Try using a simple .txt file, your code works fine on Visual Studio 2005 on a windows box.

If you are trying to read an office document then basic file IO is not going to give you want you want without parsing/processing the internal format of the document.

Thanks

After opening the file in a basic text editor, I found out that it had a monster header file that was killing my input. After removing the header, it works perfectly.

James

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement