• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sarxous

Simple Pointer Misunderstanding.

This topic is 4055 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently reading "Teach Yourself c++ in 21 days" and in one of the examples (in the pointer chapter of course) confuses me.
class Simplecat
{
 public:
        Simplecat();
        ~Simplecat();

int Getage() const { return *itsage }
        int Setage(int age) { *itsage = age }

private:
        int * itsage;
        int * itsweight;
};

Simplecat::Simplecat()
 {
     itsage = new int(2);
     itsweight = new int(5);
 }
I get everything until I get down to the constructor. Mainly the "itsage = new int(2); Since itsage is a pointer shouldn't the line read "*itsage = new int(2)" instead?

Advertisement
No.

Remember, Pointers point to memory addresses. When the constructor gets called, itsage currently doesnt point to a memory address.

So we do itsage = new int(2);

why not *itsage = new int(2) ?

with no *, you are "using" the memory address, so you are setting the address itsage points to in "itsage = new int(2)"

Maybe this will help...

int main()
{

int *pointer; //Declaring a pointer that points to a int

pointer = new int; // making it point to a memory address

*pointer = 2; //setting the value of the address it points to to 2

//you use * to access the value at the memory address it points to.

//this next piece does the same as above

int *pointer = new int(2);
//maybe you were getting confused with this

Hoped this helped :D

Quote:
Original post by erissian
In other words, "new" returns the address of the new object.

Yes, in fact dynamicly allocating memory for one int is pretty much useles ;)
I think that this code can really confuse some people, the real use of "new" is allocating blocks of memory, for example:

int foo = 12;
int *array = new int[foo];
array[5] = 6;

Now we can have an array which size we didn't knew when program was starting;)
please note : i'm using "[]" operator not "()"

Yes, the times you'll really need to use new and not new[] are pretty rare. I can only think of a few uses like making a linked list class (which you shouldn't do except as either a)a learning exercise after which you stop using it in place of std::list or b)you've determined from a lot of experience and code profiling that std::list is a bottleneck in your code and that if you implemented the list yourself you could do better which as a beginner probably won't be for quite awhile). Another place would be when you have a list of pointers (eg something like std::list<T*>) and each individual pointer in the list will point to an individual object (like you have list of Entity *'s which are base pointers to derived classes utilizing polymorphism). Even Then you should probably use a smart pointer class which will take care of the memory for you.

edit: I take it back, the times when you use new and new[] should be as little as possible. When in doubt use a library container like std::vector, std::list, std::deque, std::map, or std::set among others. Don't use raw pointers, use smart pointer classes to protect your pointers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!