• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rumble

java to BREW cost too much?

This topic is 4144 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am in the US west coast (Silicon Valley) and hiring a local developer to port a puzzle type j2me game to BREW. It needs to be done in three months. He quoted me around $20000 to get on four reference devices of different sizes, and around $1500 for each additional handset port. I know he has a good reputation but can't help to think about the <$5000 cost offered by some online developers. Do you think I am being played? What do you think is a fair price or the max I should pay? Thank you. Please excuse me if this should belong to the biz forum.

Advertisement
Hehehe...

Outsourcing.. isnt it great? Some countries can bid jobs at excessivly low rates because they will work for $2/hr. You just.. cant do.. that in.. america. No american thats not trying to pull your leg will bid a brew app. that low because simply put brew licensing is expensive to begin with.

In addition, while indian (and other very low paying) countries that charge such low prices may seem quite grand from the financial aspect. These same people (from my PERSONAL experiance), will bid jobs without really understanding what they are bidding on. Fact of the matter is that if they are bidding it that low, they arnt taking the BREW licensing into consideration. Thats not to say they wont be lower though.

And to top it all off. Do you know these people (over the internet) , what is THERE reputation? Find out of any past experiances with the BREW platform. Ask for referances. Remember that because the primary communication of these people will be over the internet, in another jurisdiction, its alot easier for them to screw you over. And you said you have a deadline. You can keep an eye on the local guy, you cant really keep an eye on the foreign guy.

Enough said.

Thanks for the reality check.

My main concern is that the game is a puzzle game, usually much easier than an action/platformer.

The relative simplicity and my limited experience on the average price charged does make me unsure and doubt the above 20k quote.

whoa...$20k US dollars just to port a game to BREW?

uhm, i'm really curious now, how do companies earn from the $20k port of a mobile game? (just want to know too :P )

with that money you could make many fresh j2me games (or license a good 3d game engine for the PC).

sorry, just had to react :P

Thats very cheap, thats way below avarage price for that kind of work.

I don't know about the project ofcause but a smaller game that can be ported in only three months between platforms usually costs $10000->$15000/month or so depending on the developers experience.

About 30000->45000 for three months if externally contracted is avarage. I wouldn't be concerned about that price, execially not if he has past experience as well and it really takes three months.

meow_altavista,

Do you confuse payed-out salary with company income for a employee?

In a company you will need to charge nearly twice the salary for each employee because you have social taxes (not the same as your personal taxes), pension funds, company taxes, employee sickness and vacation, risk-premium (company profit for the risk taken in running a business), gear the employee need, ongoing education and skill improvement etc.

So if the avarage salary is $5000 to $7500 for lower end development work you need to charge $10000 to $15000 if contracted. Thats for the lower-end.

Development work in the upper part of the ladder costs $17 000 -> $20 000 a month except for extra high demand skill like SAP knowledge, J2EE development etc where prices goes up to over $30 000 a month for contracting.

But again, don't confuse this with salary, it's not the same thing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!