• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Operating Online/Massive Multiplayer Online Games

This topic is 3899 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, can anybody recommend links/books/papers about the operation of this type of games or large scale web-applications ? With "operating" i mean the technical side of web applications like games with a high amount of concurrent users (bandwith consumption, scaling, etc..). Any feedback is highly appreciated! regards, b

Advertisement
Googling for IO completion ports might render some interesting info on that, also afair there have been some good articles on MMOG and alike in Game Programming Gems 5/6.

Jochen

Quote:
Original post by jochen
Googling for IO completion ports might render some interesting info on that, also afair there have been some good articles on MMOG and alike in Game Programming Gems 5/6.

Jochen

thanks !!

Hmm, web applications follow different rules.

While there have been articles discussing HTTP protocol behaviour at maximum load and various request processing strategies, they aren't applicable to real-time gaming.

All web application frameworks are build around modularity. To support more users, you add more hardware. And that's it. Keep in mind that Runescape or Flash games aren't web games. They just happen to run in a browser.

But building game-ish scalable environments is a completely different thing.

If you're sure about terminology, then all you need to look at is enterprise application development, load balancing and similar topics at one thousands of sites which discuss it. Almost all of it is open source as well. Apache offers just about everything you could need, with MySQL serving as one of simplest back-ends.

The only game that is truly a web application I can think of right now is Kingdom of Loathing.

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
Hmm, web applications follow different rules.

While there have been articles discussing HTTP protocol behaviour at maximum load and various request processing strategies, they aren't applicable to real-time gaming.

All web application frameworks are build around modularity. To support more users, you add more hardware. And that's it. Keep in mind that Runescape or Flash games aren't web games. They just happen to run in a browser.

But building game-ish scalable environments is a completely different thing.

If you're sure about terminology, then all you need to look at is enterprise application development, load balancing and similar topics at one thousands of sites which discuss it. Almost all of it is open source as well. Apache offers just about everything you could need, with MySQL serving as one of simplest back-ends.

The only game that is truly a web application I can think of right now is Kingdom of Loathing.

True. I haven't put it very well in my initial post. My question is directed towards games using a dedicated client. Just like WoW and the likes. Thanks for your reply so far, i will look into these topics!

greets,
b

Quote:
Original post by b3rnd

True. I haven't put it very well in my initial post. My question is directed towards games using a dedicated client. Just like WoW and the likes. Thanks for your reply so far, i will look into these topics!

Those don't have anything in common with web applications (with loose exception of high-level concepts)

There's some information scattered around various books on different aspects, but ultimately it comes down to distributed computing, various message passing mechanisms, database data organization, and a lot of testing with real users.

You could always check the FAQ for existing MMO engines and go from there.

If your planning on a Java or Flash mmo, keep in mind that both programs can connect via sockets to a larger server. That's how I had my flash online program running. It would download the content from my web server then the actual game simulation ran on a server app that ran on my computer.

You are going to have to be specific. What genre is the mmo and how many players max are you expecting to host. Without that information it's impossible to say the bandwidth amount. As for scaling that's just something you'd have to find out after running the game for a while. Stress testing to find that X amount of players can be in a zone or region at a time then forcing the gameplay around that principal to break up congestion habits of players.

Just as a hint, any kind of real-time player interaction won't be done on some simple web server. (Not to mention anyone hosting a web server won't like it if your accessing a mysql table or something 500 times per second).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement