• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Starting my second "game"

This topic is 3901 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So years ago I programmed a demonstration game using Ascii Graphics in C++. It was my first "game" ever and it was what finally lead me to going into computer science. Working with the code isn't overwhelming and suddenly click to be almost second nature within the first year. I finally grasped pointers and eventually after that found out why pointers are what make dynamic code possible. But, I'm still pretty much a newbie. I've now got 2 years of college under my belt and this summer's job as an intern have plenty of free time. I've been reading up on a lot of guides on where to start in developing a few professional gams to get some experience under my belt. I'm hoping I can start tetris or "falling blocks" but Starting is exactly my biggest weakness. I want to do this only to gain experience. Decisions are the biggest when you start and I'm hoping I can get pointed in the right direction. Java at the moment is most familiar code, but I'm hoping to do this in c++ to reorient myself with it. What do you guys think? I use Eclipse for Java and Visual Studios for C++, (I know some do not like VS) both legally obtained. Then comes the initial planning. what libraries would you think should be involved. Nothing too fancy I think, Mostly I think my issue will be creating a graphic with C++, I have no experience in this, can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm hoping to do this right so I can use it for a portfolio later on.

Advertisement
For a nice java library look into Golden T Game Engine www.goldenstudios.or.id/products/GTGE

I havnt used it in a year or so but when I did it was very well written and the community support was also very good. It has a input, sound, graphics and other libraries that speed up the game design process.

As far as C++ goes you can use allegro (Allegro.cc I belive) or look into SDL for graphics. You will have to search for those for more info.

I refuse to work with SDL anymore. it's limited and very difficult to work with.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement