While Loop In Python

Started by
8 comments, last by Hollower 16 years, 10 months ago
I've been trying to create a tile generator with little success. Here's my code: http://rafb.net/p/htu1lZ94.html The problem is that when it reachs Line 18 it continues to increment that variable until mapColsCheck == mapCols. I want it to increment once, return to the imbedded while statement and repeat that process until mapColsCheck == mapCols. What am I doing wrong?
Advertisement
When the inner while loop terminates for the first time mapRowsCheck == mapRows. The value remains unchanged in the next iteration and the loop isn’t executed. You have to reset the value of mapRowsCheck every iteration.

It’s easier using the for loop:
for i in range(mapCols):    for j in range(mapRows):        print "[%s]" %(theChar),
Although you can use while loops for this, you might want to use for loops instead:
for mapColsCheck in range(mapCols):    for mapRowsCheck in range(mapRows):        print "[%s]" %(theChar)
Your problem is that you need to reset mapColsCheck to 0 after printing each row. However, a more pythonic apporach would probably look more like:
mapRows = 0mapCols = 0theChar = "-" mapRows = input("Number of rows in generation: ")mapCols = input("Number of columns in generation: ") raw_input('Hit any key to generate.') for y in range( mapRows ):    for x in range( mapCols ):        print "[%s]" % theChar    # If you want linebreaks between rows    #print "\n"  print "Completed."

Edit: Beaten to it...twice [rolleyes]
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
Thanks guys. I still have a problem though:

Instead of a 3 x 3 forming this:

[x][x][x]
[x][x][x]
[x][x][x]

With a comma it forms a vertical line, and without it forms a horizontal. Is there any easy way to determine line breaks?
I fixed it. :D

I'm actually quite proud of myself for figuring out that by using:

if mapRowsCheck == (mapRows - 1):
print
else:
print "[%s - %s]" %(mapRowsCheck, mapColsCheck),

The thing would loop and create squares.
You can also add a line at the end of the outer loop that print a newline:
for i in range(mapCols):    for j in range(mapRows):        print "[%s]" %(theChar),    print
EDIT:

Your way worked MUCH better. :) Thank you very much!
Is print the best way to initiate a new line?

[Edited by - Gallivan on June 21, 2007 11:03:20 PM]
An alternative would be build a string with newlines ('\n') embedded in it and then print the whole thing after the loop has finished. It's pretty much the same thing, only "buffered".
buffer = '''for i in range(mapCols):    for j in range(mapRows):        buffer += '['+theChar+']'    buffer += '\n'print buffer

Of course, I could go nuts and write it in one line:
print (('['+theChar+']')*mapCols+'\n')*mapRows

[disturbed]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement