• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Neorocke

Yet another New person thread

This topic is 3991 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, I'm new to this. I know there are # x 10^50 beginner seeking start posts, so I figure one more won't hurt. Lets start. For the past couple of years I would touch C++ every once and a while, gaining general programming basics. So, now I'm getting more time on my hands and I figured I would try to start hardcore learning C++, bought a few books and read through them. (Found out later that they were pretty outdated). Got a little discouraged. Then I decided to see if C# w/ XNA would be more to my liking, and so far I like the feel of it. Been through a few tutorials and got Nitschke's Professional XNA Game Programming book. (Haven't gone through it all yet .. takin it slow). (Now you know kind of where I am). I'm trying to find out what programs I can use to create models to be imported into the content pipeline. (.fbx , .x )? . (Yes yes, start simple games) I recently did the XNA tutorial 4 from the creators.xna.com website, and liked how he used models in a top down view to make the 2D game. I want to try and do something like this so I can become fairly familiar with the 3D programming environment. (some other info about myself: Ive got a BS in Mech. Eng., so 3D math isn't much of a problem for me) I want to start off with Pong in 3D from top view so basically 2D. Why not use sprites and just go with 2D? Personal preference I guess. From the book and the XNA tutorial they looked to be about the same amount of work. So.. looking for exactly how or which programs export models in .x or .fbx or if there is a program to convert files to that format. (free / cheap is plus.. this is just a hobby) Thanks ahead of time.

Advertisement
3ds Max will run you up a steep price, but is arguably one of the best 3d modeling softwares you can buy. Go to Autodesk for that one. Another one that is also pricy is Maya. I believe they are now in joint with Autodesk, so it should be the same site. Blender is probably the best free one, however, I'm sure what it exports to. You could probably find some free exporters for specific file formats on the web for all of those programs though. Here's a link to Blender. Hope this helps!

Yea, After I posted this.. I looked 2 posts down. (Sorry). And check out Blender.. looks like it exports .fbx so I guess I'll run with that for a bit.

Any Tips, Tricks, or Hints for XNA?

Sounds good man! I'm not terribly experienced with XNA, but I'd say Blender is a good choice, especially for someone just starting out. Other people here should be able to tell you plenty about XNA though... *cough* *cough*

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!