• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Graphics Question

This topic is 3987 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need some help? I wanna use XNA to make my game, now my question is 1. What kind of program do i have to use for the 3D graphics in XNA,can blender be used? 2.Texturing is confusing me. do i need a separate program to texture my 3d model. can someone explain this to me or the proccess they would take to make and implement a 3D model into XNA and make it move and do actions?

Advertisement
Blender will work just fine. Just export your model as a .X file.

As for the texture, you create your texture in a program such as the GIMP, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, MS Paint, etc...The UV Coordinates, however, will be assigned in your modeling program.

Blender allows you to see what your model would look like with the associated texture, and the current UV coordinates.

Cheers!

Hi, I'm using XNA at the moment but I don't really make my own 3D Models. I'm not an artist! I usually go to TurboSquid and look for .X files that are free and then use them. I do have Blender though which I use for converting some files into ones XNA can use.

All you need to remeber is that XNA can only handle the following file formats:

.x - Direct X
.fbx - Autodesk FBX

As long as your 3D modelling software supports these formats you'll be fine. And if you can't be bothered making your own models try www.turbosquid.com, or search for 'free 3d models' or something like that on google, it usually comes up with a few different sites containing models you can use in your game.

These programs all support the XNA file formats:

Wings3D, Blender, Maya and 3ds Max

If you check on the msdn XNA framework website you can find out all about the file formats it supports and how to load them into XNA. It also tells you a little bit about whats going on in the background when XNA loads a model.

msdn XNA framework site: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb200104.aspx

Hope this helps,

James

Quote:
Original post by JamesLewis
All you need to remeber is that XNA can only handle the following file formats:

.x - Direct X
.fbx - Autodesk FBX

And, thanks to Rémi Arnaud, COLLADA.

It's not that difficult to modify the ContentManager in order to add support for other file format - although it might be a bit tricky.

Best regards,

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!