• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jbucaran

Access to thesis based in video games

This topic is 4013 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, For my thesis at university I am developing a video game. I need access to thesis of video games since this is required in the antecedents (background) or previous related work section. where can I find such theses? Regards, jbucaran

Advertisement
Can you not get access to these at your uni library? I took software engineering at uni and used some of the previous years thesis's to help me, I found them in the library. Also, the library usually only keeps the top thesis's so you know the info your getting is good quality.

If you do use google to search for thesis's try adding the filetype:pdf line at the end of the search text. When I was researching for my thesis I used google at lot and found some really usfull papers just by including that line in google!

James

Quote:
Original post by JWalsh
[google]

In particular, Google Scholar is great for looking for academic papers and theses, so you might want to give that a try too.

May I enquire into what specific area of video game research you are looking for? The area of "video games" is still a pretty wide topic.

In my university I had access to the contents of the acm and i3e sites for searching/downloading papers... it was granted to all students as long as they were inside the campus. Your university will problably have these same conditions.

A search on those sites may also help you (particularly sigraph/eurographics).

Hi,

At my university there is no thesis based in the development of a videogame. I have searched in google but I have not find any I swear. I need your help here. Get me a few resources, get me just one and I'd be thanked.

Regards, jbucaran

Quote:
Original post by jbucaran
At my university there is no thesis based in the development of a videogame. I have searched in google but I have not find any I swear. I need your help here. Get me a few resources, get me just one and I'd be thanked.

But what type of research into video games are you looking for? I haven't read any theses that were just about "developing a video game", as that on its own isn't a valid area of research. I have, however, read a few theses or research papers in artificial intelligence that were tested with the development of a video game-like simulator. But digging up those links probably isn't worth it if you aren't interested in that field.

You'll need to narrow down the field a bit more if you want some useful links. Exactly what kind of research are you doing and are interested in?

Hi,

IA mostly. But I'd like to see those theses you are talking about so I may come up with more ideas.

Thank you!!

Well, there's the list of links I posted about interactive storytelling, although most of those are not about video games (I know I've seen some that do have game applications, but I seem to have misplaced the links). There is a link to to MINSTREL, which is a Ph.D. thesis, but that's a (non-interactive) story generator, not a video game.

The closest thing there I can see for what you want is Façade, an interactive demo, but given the academic leanings of the authors I'll bet there's a stack of papers on the implementation.

The only other researcher who immediately springs to my mind is Emma Norling, who was doing her Ph.D. research in modelling BDI agents in Quake (here's a link to her publications page). However she wasn't making a game, just using bots in Quake as the basis of her experiments.

Sorry I'm not so immediately helpful; my research has moved into computer vision and I haven't been updating my game related bibliography. I'm sure I've seen some game related theses back when I was research interactive storytelling, but I'm can't remember what.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!