• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CuppoJava

Strange stringstream behavior

This topic is 4073 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm having some difficulty understanding the behavior of this code. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
string temp("ABCDEFG");
istringstream sin(temp, istringstream::in);
while(sin)
  cout <<sin.tellg() <<"   " <<(char)sin.get() <<"   " <<sin.tellg() <<endl;
gives me the output:
1   A   0
2   B   1
3   C   2
4   D   3
5   E   4
6   F   5
7   G   6
-1   ÿ   7
Why is sin.tellg() after the read smaller than sin.tellg() before the read? Thanks for your help -Cuppo

Advertisement
The order in which values are evaluated is not specified between sequence points. In the line (the cout one), there are 4 values that needs to be evaluated (two return values from tellg, one from get, and endl) and there are no sequence points involved. That means the order in which these values are evaluated is undefined.

I guess you assume they are evaluated from left to right, meaning the leftmost tellg first, then get, then tellg again, and then endl. This is obviously not what you're experiencing. Most likely, the compiler decided to evaluate them from right to left instead. Perfectly OK as far as the standard goes.

The problem with the code is that you're mixing several evaluations with evaluations that have side effects. A call to get affetcs the return value of tellg. Don't do that.

I see. That's a very clear explanation.
Thanks.

ps. so operator precedence and associativity doesn't have any effect on evaluation sequence?

No, this has nothing to do with operator precedence. That has to do with how values are combined, sort of. But in order to get the values, expressions needs to be evaluated, and it's the order of evaluation to get the values that is undefined between two sequence points.

As an example, a+b*c is always evaluated as a+(b*c) due to operator precedence, but if the evaluation of one value (a, b or c, which can be return values from functions) have any side effects that changes the value of some other value (in your case, calling get changes the value of tellg), you can't be sure what the final result will be.

But no matter how expressions are evaluated, you will know for sure that the result from evaluating b and c are multiplied, and the result from that is added with the evaluation of a.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!