Where to start programming

Started by
7 comments, last by mntlinstituteflr 16 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I've been an artist for some 3 years now and just felt that maybe I'm missing something in game development. To make this shorter, where can I begin game programming? I know some vb.net, C#, and C++, but I'd like to begin C++ game programming, where can I start?
Advertisement
I know you want to start programming in c++, but I would recommend taking a look at c# with XNA. It will be a lot easier to get started and begin learning some of the concepts of game programming which you can later apply to c++ if you still find you enjoy programming.
Alright, but what is XNA exactly? And where can I find some information on it?
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/default.aspx

XNA is sort of the next rendition of managed directx with a lot of extra stuff to make game programming a little easier. At least that's what I've gathered from it, I haven't tried it out myself yet but have heard tons of good things about it from people.
Hey, just a thought, be wary about recommending something you haven't tried out yet. You don't have a context with which to make the recommendation with it. Meaning, it might be easy to make games with, but might not be the easiest thing to start with for a beginner guy.

- Goishin
Don't worry, I have enough experience to recommend XNA, and to know that it would be a lot easier to start with then going the directx with c++ route.

I understand where you're coming from though if I was a n00b with no experience.

*edit* I should also add, while I haven't used it in a project I have looked over the API and gone through the documentation to see what it had to offer in the past.
Quote:Original post by Dancin_Fool
I understand where you're coming from though if I was a n00b with no experience.

I am what I am. I looked into XNA, are there any good tutorials on it? Besides the ones on Microsoft's website?
Sorry that n00b comment was directed towards the previous poster regarding him commenting on me giving advice on something which I hadn't used in a project.

You should be able to find some tutorials via google.
Ahh, alright. Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement