Powerful 2D Tile Based Game Engine Perfect for Beginners

Started by
13 comments, last by Ravuya 16 years, 9 months ago
http://www.stencyl.com/about/ If you have never heard of Stencyl you do not know what you are missing. It is an incredibly powerful and easy to use engine. Perfect for the absolute beginner with virtually no programming experience.
Advertisement
It looks great, but since the advertising (starting multiple threads in different forums) is so annoying, I'd refuse to ever use it.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Actually, this look awesome, at least by the polishing of the site itself. And it's free also! So this leads us to the question: why such an awesome product is using copyrighted art and is being advertised by SPAM? It made me too afraid to install it on my computer.
Well yes, it is "free", but it installs spyware on your computer. Look at it's privacy policy. And I do believe companies (Nintendo) can be quite harsh when it comes to using copyrighted material. I'm sorry, normally I wouldn't rip at a program like this, but seriously, spam advertising is one of those things that drives me insane.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
You know, I was interested in this engine (despite the obvious copyright infringement). I thought it looked useful, and I thought it might be something that I would check out and see if it was at least worth referring to beginners.

But your spam advertising has guaranteed that I will never recommend it to anybody. Good job, your ridiculous way of trying to spread the word has in fact cost you potential users.

Ass.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

My friend if you can at this point please delete your multiple posts or at the very least can a moderator delete his multiple posts (as in threads).

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Before you go too hard after the OP...

Reading through their forums it seems this spam occured one month ago already - and their forums say it wasn't the authors. It even turned out so bad they had to shut the forums down due to unexpected traffic.

While I'm in no position to verify either claims, you might want to at least give them the benefit of the doubt, especially since not now, not one month ago, the software wasn't ready for download, nor was anything else available, and as such doesn't really make much sense to start the advertisement spam.

This could possibly turn out to be a malicious attempt to discredit a perfectly valid project.

Just my 2c.
So this does install malicious programs onto your PC?

M.
<work in progress>
Ok,

so I read their privacy policy just to see what that one guy was saying. I didnt actualy check the software itself.. but dude.. there is nothing that implyes malware or spyware in their privacy policy (like I said i havent checked the software, but if so its not written in their policy). What it does bare mention of is things used for every website under the sun, which most sites just dont mention (perhaps because it scares people like you). They are just being upfront and covering their ass that they are looking at your referrers, ip, storing logs, and using google analystics. Thats not malware, thats something almost every single website owner does it. That has to do with their website... not their software...

Like I said I havent checked the software, but if you gathered they use malware from the privacy policy.. i would like for you to explain your reasoning.. because I just dont see it.. at all.. and your hurting a possiably good project.
Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
Ok,

so I read their privacy policy just to see what that one guy was saying. I didnt actualy check the software itself.. but dude.. there is nothing that implyes malware or spyware in their privacy policy (like I said i havent checked the software, but if so its not written in their policy). What it does bare mention of is things used for every website under the sun, which most sites just dont mention (perhaps because it scares people like you). They are just being upfront and covering their ass that they are looking at your referrers, ip, storing logs, and using google analystics. Thats not malware, thats something almost every single website owner does it. That has to do with their website... not their software...

Like I said I havent checked the software, but if you gathered they use malware from the privacy policy.. i would like for you to explain your reasoning.. because I just dont see it.. at all.. and your hurting a possiably good project.

Yes, sorry, I should have been a little bit more clear by what I meant. I'm not sure how you define spyware, but for me, I consider spyware to be a program that collects unnecessary information for the purpose of redistributing that information to other affiliates and/or for any other purpose that is not required for the original, main program to function properly. Yes, you say nearly every website does this, which just makes me disapointed in every website; it doesn't make me feel better about them doing it though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement