Is Lucid Dreaming Bad?

Started by
33 comments, last by bambuti 16 years, 9 months ago
I have been having lucid dreams for quite some time now, and I wonder if there are any negative repercussions resulting from lucid dreams. Although many lucid dreamers advocate the activity (including Stephen LaBerge), I think there may be some negative side effects to the phenomenon. For instance, I frequently wake up from lucid dreams especially if I breath in too quickly. And can it be good for a person to have all of their wishes come true in such a vivid fashion? I wonder if this esoteric practice has been researched enough to advocate it so strongly as LaBerge advocates it. Sorry for the loaded question, but what do you think? Are lucid dreams bad for one's body or mind? Oh, and I also wonder if they are inherently immoral... but let's save that for another day. [Edited by - anothrguitarist on January 25, 2008 8:46:05 PM]
--------------------Enigmatic Coding
Advertisement
No.

Wet Dreams, however...

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

I had a friend who lucid dreamed once. And he ended up dying.

So I suppose with that kind of sample group, yes, it's quite dangerous.
I find that if you take unisom extra strength sleep gels, you can get great lucid dreams. 50mg ea. If you take say, 150-300mg, you'll get totally fucked. Out of body, ego loss, etc.So if you can't die from that, I'd imagine you cant die from a non-drug induced lucid dream.

Speaking of which, try taking like 4 unisoms, what you're experiencing now is merely the tip of the AWESOME iceberg.
If you continue dreaming, I see nothing but a future of pure and utter evil coming to you. Why not aid your fellow man instead and end these silly, irrational notions that you call "dreams"? Come together with him and work for the greater benefit of all.

[Edited by - BITWISE CHE on June 23, 2007 1:20:21 AM]
"I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting."
as you have said, i doubt enough research has gone into studying the lasting effects of habitual lucid dreamers. for now, the best advice is probably moderation. experience lucidity sometimes, and other times allow some dreams to run their course --- which i think is even HARDER to do especially if you are conciously aware that you are dreaming
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
Quote:Original post by Uthman
as you have said, i doubt enough research has gone into studying the lasting effects of habitual lucid dreamers. for now, the best advice is probably moderation. experience lucidity sometimes, and other times allow some dreams to run their course --- which i think is even HARDER to do especially if you are conciously aware that you are dreaming

Yes, that is why I bring up this topic... I can't seem to stop having lucid dreams. Not necessarily because I enjoy them so much, rather I seem to have them naturally now. Perhaps if I more forcefully deny them, they will cease. Of course that may be difficult...

Edit: Err, I'm kind of contradicting myself there... What I mean is that it may be difficult to forget about them and such
--------------------Enigmatic Coding
Quote:Original post by Uthman

And you're qualified to post commentary on this, how?

EDIT: Oh right, you're a doctor. Me too.

Dx: You're an idiot

Rx: Fist your mother

eh? i was just commenting as a member of this community o_O''

the previously stated comment is my opinion and ideology -- do things in moderation.

anyhow, i myself have also had a 'lucid dream' stage in the past and from my own personal experience, the capability to achieve lucidity is like a muscle -- you have to work on it in order to make it stronger. and if you leave it alone for long enough... well, like all other muscles........
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
I lucid dreamed my way out of a Mexican standoff once, so in a way it saved my life.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement