Area to relocate to find game programming jobs.

Started by
9 comments, last by Running_Wild 16 years, 9 months ago
Is it a good idea to relocate without finding a job? If yes what is a good area to relocate to find game programming jobs. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by yenal
Is it a good idea to relocate without finding a job? If yes what is a good area to relocate to find game programming jobs. Thanks in advance.

Without a job lined up I would vote against the idea.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words

No, thats probably not a good idea. If you are good enough to be recruited, most studios wont mind flying you over for an interview. Plus, you might be eligible for a relocation bonus. Some government (ours do!) will also give you a tax break if you move for a job. Get the job first, really.

1) Learn
2) Get a job
3) Move
4) $$$!

Don't listen to these hacks. Go where the wind takes you.

There's lots of game programming jobs in India and Korea.

Thanks everyone.
Why would you move without a job? I can just imagine the fun of packing everything up, doing a road trip to a new location, setting everything up, getting settled in, only to be offered a great job which requires you to move again [dead]
Quote:Original post by boolean
Why would you move without a job? I can just imagine the fun of packing everything up, doing a road trip to a new location, setting everything up, getting settled in, only to be offered a great job which requires you to move again [dead]

One reason, although this isn't for game industry, is that when you're in an area, it's really, really hard to get a job in another area. Many companies don't like paying relocation fees. Certain areas are better for specific types of jobs than others, and if you're after a specific type of job, sometimes a temp pay check filler job might be just what you need until you can land your dream job, rather than be stuck in an area where there are very few jobs to your liking, let alone any that may offer you a chance to work for them.
Nytegard, that is what I was thinking exactly. Is there a city in California where there are lots of game development companies? When I check the job opportunities I usually see jobs in San Diego, San Fransisco, Irvine and Los Angeles. Another reason for me is I want to move to the west side anyway even if I cannot land a gaming job. Currently I live in NY. Thanks.
Umm... Quite a few companies will help with relocation fees in this industry. If you can afford to move anyways you don't need this help. Seriously, apply at some game companies, few expect you to start the next day. Most will do phone interviews and if they like you, fly in. Airfare isn't that bad compared to ruining your credit when you run out of funds and cannot afford to live in cali and bail early on your rental agreement. Also most places won't rent to you without having a job already.

Remember there are great East coast game companies too. Would suck to move to cali then get a job with Epic back East :)

Stay where you are, apply, it's very common in this industry for people to apply from out of state.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the advices.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement