• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

using ogg streams with multiple sources

This topic is 3864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I finally have been messing with openal and ogg and I got a simple ogg stream working along with loading a whole file in a buffer. Now I want to be able to play the same stream multiple times (gun shots, walking noises, etc). The problem with streams is since the whole file isn't loaded in memory I would basically have to have 2 buffers for each noise I want to play at the same time. Is this a bad way to go? Should I just put short sound files fully in memory and not stream them? How many buffers can I create on a typical sound card, or does it not matter? I'm just looking a way on how to efficiently play multiple sounds at once. If buffers don't matter I will make everything a stream but I have a feeling they do. If buffers do matter then only long speaking parts and music would be streams.

Advertisement
I personally use streaming for any music (background) and load actual sound clips like gunshots and that stuff into buffers (then into OpenAL when they're needed). This way you can play the same sound multiple times and stream the music.

thanks, thats what I was thinking but some sound effects even though short seem to take up quite a bit of memory. I'm still curious how many buffers openal can handle and with what kind of hardware, might have to do some research.

I'm pretty certain there is no limit on the amount of 'buffers' you can allocate (within the limits of sanity, handles and memory ofcourse), it's the number of sound sources which can vary per hardware/software implimentation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement