Triple monitor bonanza - your thoughts?

Started by
11 comments, last by Black Knight 16 years, 9 months ago
Fellow computer enthusiasts and hardware lovers, I was just wondering if anyone here has had the experience of running 3 monitors off of one system. Right now I have two 17" Sony LCDs running off of a Geforce 7600GS. The other day I noticed that the price of the monitors has dropped to 140 euros, and I was almost tempted to pick up a third. The problem is that it would have to run off another graphics card. Has anyone here run 3 monitors off one system before? What was it like? Was it really any more productive?
"I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting."
Advertisement
I suppose you could just buy a crappy PCI graphics card and run a third.

Actually that's an idea, a third 19" Sony :).

Damn you for suggesting it!

William
I run four. So yes, it does work.
Just get a pci graphics card :) And remember to boot with the pci as the bootup card or it won't work.

And yes it's more productive. Having four may be a bit overkill (although certainly useful at times and I have loads of space on my desk anyway) but three I see as essential :)
The thing I am worried about is how well it would handle things though, there being a second graphics card and all. Not only that, but it might be a bit hard to find a 3840x1024 wallpaper.

It's a shame, as I just sold my ATi X300 for $20. I might have to buy it back now!

Right now I am using PCI-Express. Would I have to tell it to use the PCI card first, then the PCI-Express card? It makes me wonder if my machine can handle it... 0_0
"I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting."
Quote:Original post by BITWISE CHE
Not to mention that, but it might be a bit hard to find a 3840x1024 wallpaper...

3480x1024 goodness. Some really majorly cool stuff there.
Quote:Original post by Raymondo
Not to mention that, but it might be a bit hard to find a 3840x1024 wallpaper...

wow. Just wow.

I've run 3 monitors in the past. It was good, but i didn't really miss it when i switched back to 2. I had an AGP card and a PCI card, with the AGP card set as the main display so I don't think you necessarily have to set the PCI card as the main one. Maybe this was a quirk of the motherboard used?
3 monitors is paltry in comparison to this, but at least it makes you feel better and if anyone calls you silly for having three monitors then you can link them to that page to shut them up. Or not. But anyways I'm looking to get a third monitor as well and have been meaning to ask this question: Does anyone know what will happen if I mix a DX10 and a DX9 card for games? I wanna buy a DX10 card this fall and hook it up to a 20" widescreen and one of my 17" monitors and use my DX 9 to power the remaining 17". Currently I'd only use all three monitors for FSX, so it's not a big deal but I'm just curious.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Quote:Original post by Raymondo

Great link :) cool pic and good stuff

regards

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement