DirectInput ConfigureDevices options on Vista

Started by
2 comments, last by jollyjeffers 16 years, 9 months ago
Hi all As a DirectX newbie I'm trying to set up DirectInput and action mapping. I was hoping to have something functional up and running, but after looking up ConfigureDevices in the April 2007 SDK I notice that it's deprecated and will always fail on Vista and forward. Nothing about how to proceed from now on! Sh**! After a Google I found this: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=1198467&siteid=1 Well, what do I do now? Is the only option to write my own UI as a replacement? I guess it's quite a few steps to do that? I just hate M$ when they do things like this! Right now I'm so disappointed so I'm going to turn off my computer and read a book instead! Hmm, maybe one of my DirectX books... [grin]
Advertisement
I seem to remember Microsoft saying that XInput would supercede DirectInput; if that's happened there may be an equivalent option available to you for that API.
Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, you seem to remember correctly. However, this creates new problems, as XInput do not support "legacy DirectInput devices". I've just made a quick check on XInput at MS so I have to read up on it and make some tests I guess....But I haven't found a quick n easy solution to this yet.

As it seems now the easiest solution is to create your own solution replacing the ConfigureDevices call. Has anyone here done it?
DI's action mapping never seemed to get the love and attention it deserved. By and large the PC market is purely mouse+keyboard and this seems to show.

It's generally accepted that regular windows messages are sufficient/best for keyboard and mouse and that XInput is for the newer devices. So DI is mostly just legacy devices now, which means for a solution covering all options you're looking to use at least two API's if not three. Ceases to be such an easy option and with so many API's you can see why they didn't bother pushing AM much [sad]

Oh, and I've not implemented the config screen myself nor have I seen any examples of it.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement