• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Carpet_Shampooer

Is sprintf'ing a D3DXVECTOR3 possible?

This topic is 3987 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm trying to output/convert a D3DXVECTOR3 to something I can render in a font, and I think I'm trying to do something like: sprintf( m_cameraPos, "%d, %d, %d, Campos", m_camera->GetTranslation ); But I'm a little lost and I can't exactly figure it out. Is there a way to extract the individual components of a D3DXVECTOR3, or do I have to like, cast it to something more native to a sprintf function? In the past, I've just kept extra x, y and z floats embedded in the objects but if there's an easier or more simple way, I'd really appreciate the advice. Thanks a bunch!

Advertisement
If you look at the definition of D3DXVECTOR3, you can see that you can just use x, y, and z fields from the vector.
So,
D3DXVECTOR3 const &t = m_camera->GetTranslation;
sprintf( m_cameraPos, "%.2f, %.2f, %.2f, Campos", t.x, t.y, t.z );
should just work.

sprintf cannot be extended to support more types, which is one of the reasons why C++ streams are a superior solution.

In your particular case, it would be as simple as:
return boost::lexical_cast<std::string>(m_camera->GetTranslation)

Or perhaps:
std::strintstream stream;
stream << m_camera->GetTranslation;
return stream.str();

As long as you've defined operator<< for the vector:
std::ostream& operator<<(std::ostream& out, const D3DXVECTOR3 & v)
{ return out << v.x << " " << v.y << " " << v.z; }

D3DXVECTOR3 const &t = m_camera->GetTranslation;
sprintf( m_cameraPos, "%.2f, %.2f, %.2f, Campos", t.x, t.y, t.z );

Works beautifully! Like magic. Thanks, that's been bugging me for a very long time. And thanks for the other stuff too, I'll be sure to look into streams! :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!