Post Apoc Genre

Started by
4 comments, last by Pete Michaud 16 years, 9 months ago
theres been all kinds of post apocalypse games and movies, whether its wasteland, fallout 1 & 2, roadwar 2000 and roadwar europa, the mad max series .. the list goes on. what concepts, plot lines, scenarios, features, characters etc.. do you think really exemplified the Post Apoc genre and were the most memorable? what gripes or misgivings do you have about this genre? what do you like most about it? which movies or games did some parts well ? if so, what parts? if they did some badly or could've done better, if so.. what parts? looking forward to any responses :)
Advertisement
My favorite would be Warzone 2100. Great game. The only fault in its story though was the fact that radiation does not simply go away in thirty years. Not from a world wide nuclear war.
I think the subclasses of post apocalyptic fiction are interesting. You have the survivalist immediate post-apocalyptic kind, like _The Girl Who Owned a City_ and _Emergence_ and the tabletop RPG _Ragnarock_. There are the hundred or so years after neo-feudal or neo-fascist ones like _A Canticle for Lebowitz_, _Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep_, and _The Iron Dream_. And then there are the future fantasy ones like some of the final fantasies and _Planet of the Apes_ and other series where humans have been replaced with anthros or androids.

I like all three kinds if they aren't too angsty depressing gritty and violent.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

The Mad Max series easily does the best job of envisioning a post-apocalyptic world. And, given that Mad Max was the first movie to focus on a post-apocalyptic world, almost every other movie or game in the genre borrows from it. Mad Max (1978) showed the audience the birth of a barren world, Road Warrior gave the audience a taste of life in that world, and Thunderdome hinted at the death of such a world with civilizations being rebuilt in both Bartertown and the childrens' new home.

Most other games and movies which take place in a post-apocalyptic world fail to elaborate on the anarchy and themes of rebuilding which are hallmarks of the post-apocalyptic genre; they simply use the setting as a gimmick or to "copy" the style of similar works.

Recently, the only other work which comes to mind as being a good example of a post-apocalyptic world is Children of Men. Unfortunately, my mind is drawing a blank when it comes to thinking of a good game to represent the subgenre.
I like the scavanger part best. To look for weapons and gear from the past. Not being ablo to be picky. Ist either a flintlock or a pipe, or idealy a minigun.

Quote:Most other games and movies which take place in a post-apocalyptic world fail to elaborate on the anarchy and themes of rebuilding which are hallmarks of the post-apocalyptic genre; they simply use the setting as a gimmick or to "copy" the style of similar works.

You hit the nail on the head.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement