please help me a little

Started by
3 comments, last by psycho_svk 16 years, 10 months ago
Hello, how are you all?? i would appreciate it if you help me... i've been taking a computer graphics with openGL course for a week, but now i am asked to creat a 2D simple chess board, but i hardly know the basics.... well, i can draw the first square: . . . . . . #include<Gl/glut.h> void init(void) { glClearColor(1.0,1.0,1.0,0.0); glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); gluOrtho2D(0,90,90,0); } void lineSegment(void) { glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT); glColor3f(0.0,0.0,0.0); glBegin( GL_QUADS ); glVertex2f( 15.0, 15.0 ); glVertex2f( -15.0, 15.0 ); glVertex2f( -15.0, -15.0 ); glVertex2f( 15.0, -15.0 ); glEnd(); glFlush(); } void main(int argc,char**argv) { glutInit(&argc,argv); glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_SINGLE|GLUT_RGB); glutInitWindowPosition(50,100); glutInitWindowSize(400,300); glutCreateWindow("An example openGL program"); init(); glutDisplayFunc(lineSegment); glutMainLoop(); } . . . . . . but how am i suppposed to continuo? sure there must be a loop to change the squares positions and the colors,but i just need some help in loops and parameters... anyone please?
Advertisement
You can do something like this

void DrawSquaresOnALine(float TranslateASquareOnY, int NumberOfSquaresOfTheCheckBoardOnY )
{

for(int i = 0; i< NumberOfSquaresOfTheCheckBoardOnY; i++)
{
glTranslatef(0,Y,0);

DrawSquare();}

}

void DrawSquare(you can put dimensions here and color)
{
glColor3f(colorR, colorG, colorB);
glVertex3f(0,0,0);
glVertex3f(1,0,0);
glVertex3f(1,1,0);
glVertex3f(0,1,0);
}

Something like that - i hope this will give you a rough ideea about what you need to do.

You sould check neve.gamedev.net for lots of cool tutorials about opengl
this is helpful, i will try to work on it, but i really don't know how to decide the (x,y) and positions of the squares... can i ask if anyone saw a whole code for drawing the board ?
i really don't love to take already done codes, but i will take it and study it.... so don't think i am a lazy person...
is there a code?
First, there's a typo: it's nehe.gamedev.net

Like guvidu sai, you could try to implement a function that takes the number of squares in x and y direction, the colors as well as the size of each square as parameters.

The function could look as follows:

void drawCheckerBoard(int numSquaresX, int numSquaresY, //the number of squares in each of the 2 dimensions  float r1, float g1, float b1, //the first color  float r2, float g2, float b2, //the second color  float sizeX, float sizeY) //the size of each square  {    glBegin(glTriangles); //draw triangles instead of lines    for(int x = 0; x < numSquaresX; x++)    {      for(int y = 0; y < numSquaresY; y++)      {        //if x is even and y is odd (or the other way round) use color 1        if((x % 2) != (y % 2))          glColor3f(r1,g1,b1);        else  //if x and y are even or odd use color 2          glColor3f(r2,g2,b2);        //draw the 2 triangles for a square (counter-clockwise winding)        //triangle 1        glVertex3f(x * sizeX, 0, y * sizeY);        glVertex3f(x * sizeX, 0, (y + 1) * sizeY);        glVertex3f((x + 1) * sizeX, 0, (y + 1) * sizeY);        //triangle 2        glVertex3f(x * sizeX, 0, y * sizeY);        glVertex3f((x + 1) * sizeX, 0, (y + 1)* sizeY);        glVertex3f((x + 1) * sizeX, 0, y * sizeY);      }    }    glEnd();  }

Note that this function draws the checker board in the xz-plane rather than the xy-plane.

Call this function in your render function:

//clear back buffer
//setup matrices

drawCheckerBoard(8, 8, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2); //draws a 8x8 checker board with square sizes of 2x2 and black (0, 0, 0) and white (1, 1, 1) squares.

//end rendering with glFlush()

To go on:
-use a display list
-add a movable camera (e.g. gluLookAt)
-create some chessmen to play with (;))
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
make function which draws quad
float s = 1.0f; // size of quad (length of side)draw_quad(bool white){  if (white)    glColor3f(1, 1, 1);  else    glColor3f(0.3, 0.3, 0.3); // gray, so you can see it on black background  glBegin(GL_QUADS);  glVertex3f(0, 0, 0);  glVertex3f(s, 0, 0);  glVertex3f(s, s, 0);  glVertex3f(0, s, 0);  glEnd();}

then you want to draw this quad 8x8 times
two 'for' loops will do that:

glLoadIdentity();glTranslatef(0, 0, 0); // if you want to move the whole chessboard, change thisbool is_white = 0; // starts with black on 1afor (int x=0; x<8; x++){  for (int y=0; y<8; y++)  {    glPushMatrix(); // push current matrix on stack    glTranslatef(x*s, y*s, 0); // translate to position of quad on board    draw_quad(is_white); // draw it    is_white = !is_white; // next color is always the other one    glPopMatrix(); // pop matrix    // (so the next loop will start at [0, 0] and can translate as needed)  }}

i dont like writing code for people, but i think this should be good to make you understand
try to go through this code and understand every line
(if you dont, even if you try hard, you can write me)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement