• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
eric_f

Feedback on casual RTS

This topic is 4118 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been toying with a simple RTS, something I'm sure that has been done before (probably better). The game world consists of a number of planets; each planet produces fleets at a set rate (this rate grows from an initial value to a maximum production over the course of time) and a player directs that production to defend their planets or conquer additional worlds. It's still very early in development meaning yes the artwork is terrible and there are still bugs, but what I'd like is some opinions on how the game plays right now. What works, what doesn't, what the game needs. Anyway, you can get the current version from: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=198650 It is based on XNA (started as a: 'I would like to learn this' grew into: 'putting this out may not be a bad idea'), so you will need XP SP2, .NET2.0 and the XNA redistributable framework to run the game. XNA Framework can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A7DA4763-6807-4BD5-8D18-18C60C437F93&displaylang=en

Advertisement
Play Netrek first.

Edit: er, I guess I should elaborate... it's not rts but it has great strategy, planets, armies etc.

Thank you, Netrek definitely looks like it would have some value as far as seeing how something similar works; I will give that a try for a while to vet a few different ideas.

The first thing I noticed that it badly needs is a tutorial on how to actually play the game, because it really isn't obvious. As far as I could tell gameplay consisted of moving a couple of unlabelled slider bars which apparently did nothing, and clicking on different planets, which also seemed to do nothing.

If you can produce a tutorial or something that tells me how to achieve anything in the game, I'll give it another go.

Other things I noticed:

Pressing page up causes the view to zoom out a gazillion light years in half a second. This isn't a problem as such, except that I couldn't find a key to zoom back in again.

EDIT: Ah, you can zoom back in with the mousewheel. Except the planet names no longer appear and the left/right scrolling suddenly seems inverted.

Defence only has one 'f'. I'll let you off on the 's' because I think that's the american spelling.

Hmmm, it might be that I've never played an independent game before (just getting into programming ^^) but every time I try and run the .exe I get a message saying SpaceControl has encountered a problem and needs to close. Then it prompts me to send an error report or not, is it me or the game? And if it's me how can I fix this problem?

Sorry for the lack of replies, I've been away for a few days.

@Sandman
Thanks for taking the time to give it a go. I have added a short rundown on the sourceforge wiki:
http://spacecontrol.wiki.sourceforge.net/Gameplay+Tutorial
I'm trying to get an update out soon to address a few bugs (including what you mentioned) as well as make the results of your actions more apparent. Sliders and routes will display a lot more information about what they're doing.

@Skizye
First thought if it's crashing right off the bat would be to make sure you have: XP SP2, a current DX9, .NET2.0 and XNA redistributable framework all installed. It also currently needs a PS2.0 video card (Radeon X800 or Geforce 6x000 series or newer). The display will also need to be at least 1024x768.

Ouch, X800 or higher? I've been working on a much more complex version of what it sounds like you're working on, and would love to try it out. Unfortunatly my video card is only a Radeon 9600. Could you make the shading in the game optional? Not for just myself, but I'm sure it would valuable for you to allow people with older computers to run the game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!