2 General Questions

Started by
5 comments, last by samoz 16 years, 10 months ago
i have 2 questions 1. from what i gather, assembly is kind of abstract nowadays due to modern hardware configurations and the sheer size of applications, but i'm wondering, is it important to at least have some knowledge of it if you want to become a professional programmer/developer(games, software), and if so, how firm should this knowledge be? just enough to be able to understand it? or being able to write it well? 2. what is MFC? i've been looking around for windows programming books and i also stumble across books teaching MFC for windows. i'm aware of what the win32 API is but thats about it. thanks
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by godsenddeath
1. from what i gather, assembly is kind of abstract nowadays due to modern
hardware configurations and the sheer size of applications, but i'm wondering,
is it important to at least have some knowledge of it if you want to become a professional programmer/developer(games, software), and if so, how firm should this knowledge be? just enough to be able to understand it? or being able to write it well?

its not as much having knowledge of assembly as having knowledge of how a computer actually works at its lowest level, and learning assembly can help you learn that

Quote:Original post by godsenddeath
2. what is MFC? i've been looking around for windows programming books and i also stumble across books teaching MFC for windows. i'm aware of what the win32 API is but thats about it.

its a a library for building windows applications with button, text boxes and labels, though i personally i don't think its a particularly good one
The win 32 api is straght C. MFC is a C++ object oriented interface to the win 32 api. I haven't worked with it much, but from what I understand it is rather poorly done.
oh ok, thanks alot
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
1. Like Kaze said, it is good to know how a computer works at that level, and it can come very much in handy to be able to read the assembly a compiler gives you. Knowing how to read it can let you see what a compiler does with a piece of code and find tricky bugs. I would not learn how to write it well though - it is pretty challenging.

2. MFC is an object oriented library designed for basic GUI apps. It is poorly designed, old and buggy. If you want something like that there's .NET from Microsoft and a few good cross-platform libs like wxWidgets and Qt.
Also just to clarify when people say that assembly is very hard they mean that it's very difficult to manage any non-trivial code. The language is extremely simple compared to higher level languages. This makes it difficult because the most trivial operations must be implemented by hand using long sequences of very low level instructions, and thus things quickly get very complicated. Think of trying to define walking by issuing commands from a list of:
 set lower limb <index>rotate thigh about hip <a> degreesrotate leg about knee <a> degreesrotate foot about ankle <a> degrees

Without abstractions it gets very difficult to see the big picture.
Best regards, Omid
MFC stands for Monkey Fucking a Coconut

if you listen to dane cook, he explains it all

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement