• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lemour9907

Help me figure out this paradox...

This topic is 4047 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I made a small game with my friend where you have clients and servers. We both run the client, we connect to a server and play the game. The server is running on the other side of the town and we SSH in to my friends PC at home and use it. We are connected through wireless on our university network. The problem is that I lag REALLY bad, but my friend that sits right next to me has no lag whatsoever. He is running linux, and i am running windows... which I suspect might be a problem, but i have no idea how. The thing is that I can play looking at his screen because as I move left and right, the server responds instantly to my outgoing messages and modifies the coordinates of me on his screen. But on my screen it takes a loong time for the update to arrive or something... We cannot seem to figure it out. For some reason my computer does not seem to receive the messages from the server as fast as my friends computer does... does anyone know what could cause this really weird behavior? we also have all kinds of threads running all over the place to listen for stdin, sockets, etc... maybe my listening thread is not getting enough attention? Any input on this is greatly appreciated. edit: programmed in Python, if that helps at all

Advertisement
If you run WireShark on your machine, do you see the messages come in to the machine quickly? If so, there's something in your receive stack, or the Python implementation, which slows it down.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!