• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Learning networking from absolute nothing

This topic is 3985 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Um... I know C++ and allegro but I know nothing at all on networking, absolutely NOTHING at all, I don't know how it works. I would like to make a small multiplayer game, so where should I start? What are the things I need to know and where can I learn about them? Do I need to be very skilled and have massive ammounts of free time? Or is it easy to learn and simple?

Advertisement
If you know nothing at all of networking, it might take a while. If you know nothing of programming networking, it's simple though perhaps not simple to learn. Google for Beej's Guide to Network Programming. Free online guide which provides a good portable into to programming networking. You also might be inclined to pickup a library which will almost invariably be easier to use. RakNet seems to be one of the most popular around here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!