• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Keeping a game running

This topic is 3865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've already made web based turn based strategy game. While coding this, I had another idea that I want to try afterwards. But it got me to thinking, in a multiplayer game, or single for that matter, how would I go about finding and fixing bugs? I know there's a bug report system I can use where the player reports a bug and any details they can give, I see if I can reproduce, then fix it. But what about the more in depth methods like tracebacks (which I currently have no experience with) or other anomalies. In complex systems, surely one can't just look at the bug and go, ok... I think that this is causing it. Unless they are the ones who coded everything.

Advertisement
That's not what I mean. Bugzilla or mantis (what I use for my other projects) is for when someone has found a bug, and submits a report. I'm talking more about the step before that. Say the game is started, and at some point it crashes. Unless it's something specific like every time I click on the mailbox the game crashes, all the report will say is "I was doing something then it crashed". In some games, There is a cryptic message in the error but that's there for when it's reported, the dev team can understand that and it gives them a clue as to what to do to fix it.

That's just one example. I'd like to know of more methods if they exist. If I can find out how to generate those weird messages, I'd do it and incorporate an auto report tool that runs before the game does. But that's besides the point.

Another is I don't know how to generate those kinds of errors. Maybe I'm over complicating what I think their doing.

But I hope that sheds some light on to what I'm really after.

You could do a try/catch block where the catch block writes to a file and then throws the exception back up the chain.

This file could, depending on the situation, have the values of whatever values might be relevant, a backtrace and then possibly a core dump attached.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement